General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cjgpers
(learned) Sat 17-Aug-19 13:00:37
Print Post

Typical FTTP speeds

[link to this post]

So, with FTTP about to become available for our home, I've been looking at FTTP offerings from BT and Zen. I'm used to ADSL and FTTC speeds, where the actual speed is so often dependent on line length, interference, etc.

But, looking at one FTTP product from BT for example, they quote two numbers:
1. Download Speed - 74 Mbps
2. Stay Fast Guarantee - 34 Mbps

So, my question is. If I went for this BT product, which speed am I likely to get - 74 Mbps or 34 Mbps? Is there really that might variation in FTTP speeds to explain why BT only guarantee a speed that's half the achievable speed? In our household, 74 Mbps would be plenty, but 34 Mbps might be marginal.

By contrast, Zen only quote an "average speed", almost identical to BT's speeds, and simply talk about it not being "significantly below our estimate".

Arthur Young
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-19 13:04:12
Print Post

Re: Typical FTTP speeds

[re: cjgpers] [link to this post]

FTTP does not vary in speed.

Where things will vary is once your data is mixed up with 1000's and millions of other peoples and the vagaries of the Internet take-over

The 34 Mbps is the speed where if you can prove speeds are below BT will send you a £20 voucher, i.e. they are confident that between your home and their network this will not happen, otherwise they'd be handing out a lot of vouchers.

So difference is marketing based

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cjgpers
(learned) Sat 17-Aug-19 13:30:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. I guess my question is, do current FTTP users typically get closer to the "average speed" or the "stay fast guarantee" speed?

We're currently on an EO ADSL2+ line getting 18 Mbps, and feel that we probably need around double our current speed, so 74 Mbps would be fine, but 34 Mbps might not. Should I base my decision on "average speed" or "stay fast guarantee" - don't want to waste money paying for speeds we don't need!

Arthur Young

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-19 13:54:25
Print Post

If your existing ADSL2+ is with BT and the speeds don't drop badly at peak times, then likely the same will be the case with FTTP to most of the time likely to see the top end 70 Mbps and faster if you order the product based around the 80/20 service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Aug-19 13:57:40
Print Post

On Openreach FTTP based services you are more likely to see peak time slowdowns on the higher end services(150 & 300 Mbps) than the lower end services (80/20 or lower). TBH 55/10 will probably be enough for you and in the unlikely event you see speeds of less than 50 Mbps at any time of the day, then simply ask BT to investigate and they *should* put you on a different virtual path at the exchange (SVLAN) to fix this - irrespective of the speed guarantee they give on their website.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User cjgpers
(learned) Sat 17-Aug-19 16:11:27
Print Post

Thanks everyone. So in general ignore the "Stay Fast Guarantee" speed, and hope for the quoted "Download Speed", but expect something less.

Think I'll see how the BT Superfast Fibre 50/10 performs. I guess I can always increase to the 74/20 option for an extra £5 if I find that's not enough.

Arthur Young
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Aug-19 18:33:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by cjgpers:
Thanks. I guess my question is, do current FTTP users typically get closer to the "average speed" or the "stay fast guarantee" speed?

I am also with BT with FTTP and I have only had low speeds when there was either a fault their end or one of the Ethernet ports freaked out on the Smart Hub and that's about it.

On average it stays around the speed that I pay for even in the evernings, like the Speedtest results in my sig was just taken right now.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 18-Aug-19 20:00:46
Print Post

cjgpers

see https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4623469-re... who has just had his FTTP provided.
  Print Thread

Jump to