General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Tue 20-Aug-19 18:35:12
Print Post

EE & G.Fast

[link to this post]

I've been on Ultrafast 2 with BT for 18 months and it's been great, but as the contract is up, I thought I'd have a look about.

BT want £59.99 for Ultrafast 2, whereas, EE is £43 for the same package as I'm an EE mobile customer.

So a couple of questions as a result;

1. Can I still use my Huawei MT992 & DrayTek router with EE?

2. Has anyone else made the switch from BT to EE and if so, how does the service compare

I see Sky have now announced G.Fast services, but I imagine they're going to force their own router?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Aug-19 10:21:11
Print Post

Re: EE & G.Fast

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

As with FTTC you can use any modem you like (like the Huawei MT992), it can't be blocked by the ISP, the G.Fast pod is OpenReach equipment.

As long as EE are happy to provide your login details for the router or have generic login details then you can use any device you like.

G.Fast is essentially the same as VDSL2 in that as long as the modem meets the standards it will sync.
The ISP controls the PPP/IP login details you enter in the router.

I'm not sure if EE have a generic login for every user or if it's unique to each person.
If it's a standard login then use any modem/router you like.
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Wed 21-Aug-19 11:07:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Great, I thought that might be the case, but wanted to check as I don't want to use the ISP provider kit as I run my own internal network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikel543
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-19 11:18:41
Print Post

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

Because you mentioned Sky in your post, I thought I would mention that you can use a 3rd party router with Sky, but it needs to support DHCP Option 61 (MER) on the WAN interface as Sky use a different authentication type to other ISPs.
  Print Thread

Jump to