General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyhurley
(regular) Thu 22-Aug-19 15:32:46
Print Post

Gigaclear roll out postponed, again

[link to this post]

Just had a note from Gigaclear and Superfast Essex to say our roll out which was scheduled for Q3-4 this year is now postponed until 2021. This is after it was postponed last Summer from 2018-2019.

Obviously this is a blow and I will need to look into some sort of 4g solultion but I am curious why such big delays are happening (I know we are not the only area suffering like this). Gigaclear have been digging roads this year in the area around our stated Cabinet (note, this is not the same as our OR cabinet for VDSL but is 5 miles away in a neighbouring village).

Have they decided that running 5 miles of fibre to our village is not sensible and are going to go to the cabinet 2.5 miles away instead? Who knows? And why does this take an extra 2 years?

Sorry, just letting off steam really but would be interested in the reasons for these sort of delays.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-19 15:48:12
Print Post

Re: Gigaclear roll out postponed, again

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

I would guess it is more complicated than they thought from a paper survey and therefore they are doing low hanging fruit first - those low hanging fruit can start bringing in turnover that then helps to finance the more difficult installs.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-19 16:00:58
Print Post

Surely Gigaclearís infrastructure doesnít use any cabinets does it ?

Asking, because I donít know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 22-Aug-19 16:04:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Surely Gigaclearís infrastructure doesnít use any cabinets does it ?

It does. I happened to see one open in a village while they were installing it - a bundle of small tubes came into it, presumably one for each property served.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 22-Aug-19 16:43:06
Print Post

Most if not all of their contracts are for BDUK government projects, so they have to happen eventually. They are well behind in Northamptonshire also, so you are not alone.
Just think one day you will be future proof, and probably much sooner than the rest of the UK waiting for FTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Aug-19 16:57:15
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Point to point FTTP and needs the active hardware and their own cabinets are used rather than rent space in another local building.

Footprint covered from each cabinet should be pretty large.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-19 16:59:01
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
Just think one day you will be future proof, and probably much sooner than the rest of the UK waiting for FTTP.

Depends on how you define future proof as things do break and newer tech will come along. The main thing with fttp will be bandwidth, that said we have no current (consumer) app/device that needs 100mbits. 4k hdr can slurp 40mbits but thats the current limit. 8k hdr would change that but then how much 4k content is out there
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-19 17:14:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 23-Aug-19 10:20:14
Print Post

I know it is no consolation, but they seem to be having problems in all their areas. Their Fastershire BDUK rollout is apparently being re-planned, despite the latest plan only being agreed a few months ago. I'm waiting to hear what the impact on dates in my area might be - I'm currently expecting FTTP to be available within 2 years, so I'm hoping it won't be delayed any further.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Aug-19 10:36:30
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Some areas are seeing additions, just found some to the north of Brize Norton that got added to our checker this week, and a smaller bit in Herefordshire

Generally find a little each week, but its in the 100's of premises

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to