General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samhh
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-19 19:10:07
Print Post

How can I get FTTC or FTTP at my address?

[link to this post]

Hi there!

I live in a small pocket of semi-central London that suffers from pretty dismal broadband. I'm lucky to get 28Mbps down, and it's prone to severe spikes in latency.

My postcode is: N87NB

My exchange, LNCED, appears to be hooked up to FTTC and FTTP, however they don't appear to serve my address, or indeed any of those my side of the high street (put the postcode into a map, you'll see what I mean).

Is there anything I can do to get FTTC or FTTP support? I've registered interest with Openreach, but just received back "Unfortunately, your address isn't part of our current rollout programme.".

Cheers!

Edited by samhh (Fri 13-Sep-19 19:13:10)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-19 19:21:38
Print Post

Re: How can I get FTTC or FTTP at my address?

[re: samhh] [link to this post]

Do you have a phone line at the address? If so paste the result from the availability check http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
What service are you using to get your current 28Mbps?
Standard User samhh
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-19 19:29:13
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes, here's the result.

I'm with Vodafone at the moment, on Superfast 2.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Sep-19 19:40:26
Print Post

Hi SamHH,

You are on FTTC as superfast 2 is a fibre to the cabinet product. That said your speeds are low and in-between the hand back speeds
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-19 20:11:57
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

the cabinet (8) is at the junction of linzee road and priory road
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5868681,-0.1247045,3...
possible cable route/ walking route suggests 0.4miles
my next step would be to check home wiring
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-19 21:41:58
Print Post

Is 28Mbps your actual connection rate from the router or a speed test result?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Sep-19 23:23:02
Print Post

Which raises the interesting question as to why the original poster is thinking FTTC is not available to them, when they already appear to be on it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 09:18:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think on the whole many (as in Joe public) don't realise "fibre" is fttc [mostly]. Again I'm not suggesting that the OP realised that voda superfast 2 was fibre.

Anyhoo, the main issue right now, is the low speeds.
Standard User samhh
(newbie) Sat 14-Sep-19 11:12:08
Print Post

Ah, indeed you're right, I didn't realise that was FTTC. I didn't think "fibre" could be so slow - TIL!

My ISP-supplied router, which I'm essentially using as a modem and have hooked up to Google WiFi, says in the admin UI:

VDSL - 27.4Mbps down - 6.7Mbps up

Google WiFi, which everything routes through, reports average speeds of 23Mbps down and 6.1Mbps up in the app, which is more inline with my experiences, including on devices connected over ethernet, with nothing else downloading anything, from a source that should easily saturate this connection in my experience (e.g. Steam).

I did find a map online a few months ago when I was last researching this and found that there were many slow speeds at my postcode, but one postcode away, barely 50m away, they were much better. So I'm not sure it's an issue with wiring in my home, but if that's likely then I'll certainly investigate that.

What do we think?

Edited by samhh (Sat 14-Sep-19 11:12:44)

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 12:42:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by samhh:
Ah, indeed you're right, I didn't realise that was FTTC. I didn't think "fibre" could be so slow - TIL!

I call fttc, by its proper name - vdsl2 and thus is a copper product. You can go as low as 7mbits with vdsl (actually you can go lower but i believe it wouldn't be sold to you)

My ISP-supplied router, which I'm essentially using as a modem and have hooked up to Google WiFi, says in the admin UI:

VDSL - 27.4Mbps down - 6.7Mbps up

Right, can you do a test via a wired connection preferably via the Voda box. We want to eliminated your wireless infrastructure. Does the voda box give any more stats than that?

Google WiFi, which everything routes through, reports average speeds of 23Mbps down and 6.1Mbps up in the app, which is more inline with my experiences, including on devices connected over ethernet, with nothing else downloading anything, from a source that should easily saturate this connection in my experience (e.g. Steam).

I wouldn't use steam as a good test despite being able to saturate most connections.

I did find a map online a few months ago when I was last researching this and found that there were many slow speeds at my postcode, but one postcode away, barely 50m away, they were much better. So I'm not sure it's an issue with wiring in my home, but if that's likely then I'll certainly investigate that.

What do we think?

How is your voda modem router connected to the socket, do you have any extra wired phone connections ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to