General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gareth824
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 16:37:24
Print Post

Strange ISP Problem with line for 10 years

[link to this post]

Hi, I have a really weird problem with my telephone line that has been an issue for 10 years and just wondered if anyone could shed any light as to what is happening.

Basically, 10 years ago we had an annex built on the side of our house for an elderly parent. When it was complete we had Sky Telephone and Broadband installed which worked perfectly for a few years.

At some point, I decided to move the broadband and line to Plusnet, which was a nightmare. The line was disconnecting everyday and they could not find a fault. We eventually got released and went back to Sky for another year or so with no problems. During that time I think we ended up on the Sky 38Mbps Fibre which was great.....now here comes the part where I might look dumb!

I decided to try Plusnet again as a few years had passed and we were now on Fibre, so I assumed the faults would be gone. I was wrong!!! We had the same issues with fibre, where it would drop every day and nobody could tell us why. After a lot of screaming and shouting, Plusnet once again released us from contract and I decided to try TalkTalk.....

I know TalkTalk shouldn't have been on my radar, but we ended up with around 2 years of great servcie on the 38Mbps package and then we moved to the 78Mbps package (I was getting around 74.5Mbps).

I was with TalkTalk about 4 years until this year EE kept ringing me as I have a couple of mobiles with them and they kept offering me 78Mbps but a lot dearer. I told them to do one a good few times until July when I got a call where they offered me the same TalkTalk package for £26 per month for 18 months. I decided to go for it and it's gone downhill fast frown

From the day the switched it on in July, it's disconnected, multiple times per day, they have sent an engineer who says there is no fault on the line etc. Bascially, the same issues as I had with Plusnet....My question really, is Plusnet, EE and BT I am told are essentially the same company, so could this be a fault in their network that they are not picking up on?

I find it strange that Sky and TalkTalk work fine, yet Plusnet and EE (both BT) refuse to work correctly.

I'm not trying to get out of the contract again frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Sep-19 16:56:40
Print Post

Re: Strange ISP Problem with line for 10 years

[re: gareth824] [link to this post]

Since its VDSL2 its the same street cabinet hardware and same lines, the differences will be down to the hardware at your end, i.e. differences in how different providers routers cope with your line.

Also if previously on a 40/10 product which with some hardware had issues increasing the package speed to 80/20 is pushing more data across the line and increasing the exposure to potential errors.

Solutions - make sure there are is no phone extension wiring impacting on the service and get a Broadcom chipset based VDSL2 modem to sit in-between line and the Ethernet WAN port of the ISP router, i.e. broadcom based modems are generally better than the chipsets in a number of the ISP supplied routers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gareth824
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 17:22:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The BT engineer said there was absolutely no problems with the wiring. So I can only assume it's the router. I am waiting for EE to ring me about a new one, other than that I will be cancelling the service as the standard TalkTalk router worked fine for 2 years+.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Sep-19 18:50:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by gareth824:
The BT engineer said there was absolutely no problems with the wiring. So I can only assume it's the router. I am waiting for EE to ring me about a new one, other than that I will be cancelling the service as the standard TalkTalk router worked fine for 2 years+.

Or buy your own modem router and stop using isp supplied ones ... Given that you haven't explained what the disconnects are and any further set up details, most will point at the modem router.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 18-Sep-19 19:07:01
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Indeed. The main question is: when you changed from one service provider to another, did you also change router to one provided by the new service provider?
Standard User gareth824
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 21:18:58
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yes. I used the Sky Hub for 2 years no problem and the TalkTalk Hub for a total of 4 years with no problems. Now using the EE Hub which disconnects everyday.
Standard User gareth824
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 21:19:31
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

"Given that you haven't explained what the disconnects are".

If I knew that, I wouldn't be on here and the BT engineer didn't know, so I'm surprised you think I would. The setup is as I have explained if you read the post. Using the standard EE Hub. I don't have another router.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Sep-19 21:29:29
Print Post

Maybe the question was ‘what sort of disconnects’ ?

Is it just the wifi disconnecting, or is the router actually dropping sync ?

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Sep-19 21:51:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by gareth824:
"Given that you haven't explained what the disconnects are".

If I knew that, I wouldn't be on here and the BT engineer didn't know, so I'm surprised you think I would. The setup is as I have explained if you read the post. Using the standard EE Hub. I don't have another router.

The standard OR engineer, are trained to do a job, and not to know how every make of modem router works. and as Zarjaz says "what type of disconnects" is a better wording.

Do the lights blink and which one?

Is the disconnects happening on the wifi or the wired connection?

How many devices are you trying to use with it?

What happened to your other modem routers ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Sep-19 22:18:56
Print Post

EE Smart Hub, BT Home Hub and Plusnet Hub One are all generally versions of the same hardware

BT Home Hubs have a variety of reputations for not holding connection on some lines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to