General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Sun 06-Oct-19 23:41:36
Print Post

Advice needed about moving ISP

[link to this post]

Hi,
I need some advice please.

I have been having problems with my current ISP (Toople). I am not going to get into the details but if you really want a background, here is a previous link to my woes:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4625656-pa...

They sent someone from Openreach round on Thursday but they told him I had a crossed line so he couldn't fix the problems. He told me to call and tell them to explicitly raise a Broadmand error. But now I cant be arsed at all as I have already decided to leave these incompetents...

So, I am not currently in a contract with my current ISP and after getting fed up, on 27 September 2019, I gave them notice that I will be leaving.Even thogh I asked them to confirm, they didn't bother and so on the following Monday, I called them to ask the status. One of the CS people told me that I could move as I was not in contract. Obviously I am OK (tho not happy) to pay them off for the remaining notice period.

Now on 27th, I asked Virgin to install their broadband and they are due to install the new service on the morning of Wed 9th October 2019 (during the notice period). As I said I don't care if it is in parallel with the existing contract I assume so loag as I pay off the current ISP.

In the transfer process I am worried something will go wrong. My biggest worry is that the current ISP will not release the family phone number which we have had for 30 years.

Should I worry? Do I need to worry? Can I do anything to mitigate any problems?

Thank-you for any advice...
Regards,
Imran

Edited by ImranQ (Sun 06-Oct-19 23:43:56)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:38:05
Print Post

Re: Advice needed about moving ISP

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

I'd cancel the cease with Toople.
If it's completed before the number is transferred your number can be as good as gone.
A cease on the line might block a number port.

They should contact Toople and arrange this.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/switc...

Read the section on switching to cable.

If you're switching to or from a cable network, you will need to contact your new provider to place an order for your new service or services and your old provider to cancel your existing contract. You may decide to coordinate the start of your new service with the end of your old service, or you may wish to have an overlap of your old and new contracts.

However, if you choose to keep your existing 'phone number, your new provider should notify the provider you are leaving that the service is being transferred. In these circumstances you would not normally need to notify the provider you are leaving that you are moving to a new provider (though you may want to check whether the provider you are leaving will charge an early termination fee for leaving your contract).

If you're following a cease and re-provide process, you will normally receive notification from the provider you are leaving that your contract is ending (and notification of any charges associated with this), and you will be given a new contract from your new provider which will tell you when your contract is due to start.

as for...
Should I worry? Do I need to worry? Can I do anything to mitigate any problems?

Yes. If done wrong the number can be lost.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 07-Oct-19 00:44:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:41:41
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Already signed up. Installation this coming Wednesday.

Trouble is it doesn't sound like a migration anyway. It seems to be two unrelated transactions.

Can you migrate from Oenreach to VM anyway?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 07-Oct-19 00:44:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:46:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Already signed up. Installation this coming Wednesday.

Trouble is it doesn't sound like a migration anyway. It seems to be two unrelated transactions.

Can you migrate from Oenreach to VM anyway?

Ofcom seems to think so and is how they recommend handling this on their website.

Apologies for the multiple edits, I read up more on what I'd posted and added to it.
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:46:47
Print Post

Thanks for your reply and pointing out about the line. I did ask to transfer number too I believe though it doesn't seem to say anything in the new contract or other emails regarding this. I'll clarify this tomorrow and if it's the case, I'll ask to defer.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:47:28
Print Post

I did two edits as well smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:58:15
Print Post

I read up the link you provided John and the emails I have received from Virgin. It seems I have f*ked up and just ordered a new service rather than a transfer. I'll have to sort out tomorrow morning as I said. Thankfully I still have another 48 hrs or so....
Appreciate the help...
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Mon 07-Oct-19 00:59:49
Print Post

I think now that your right RobertoS. I think I started off the process from an incorrect VM link.Duh!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Oct-19 01:34:42
Print Post

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

I hope you get it sorted. Good luck. (Let us know how things go please smile).

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 07-Oct-19 01:35:08)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-19 08:20:52
Print Post

Note that if you did order a new service from Virgin, there is another option you could consider:

1. Get the new Virgin service delivered as originally ordered - preferably broadband-only.
2. After this, order a transfer of your existing phone number to a VOIP provider (e.g. sipgate, vonage etc).
3. Keep paying for your existing line while you wait for this to take place.
4. When the number is transferred to the VOIP provider, this triggers an automatic cease of the original phone line and any broadband service on it.

You will then have your original number forever, via VOIP. You can even move to a different part of the country and take it with you, or make and receive calls on it when on holiday. And as a side benefit, the cost of any calls you make will be *way* lower (most normal providers charge 20p+ just for connecting a call).

Helpful article here:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/04/swappi...

Anyway, I just thought it was worth mentioning as an option.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to