General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-19 15:40:24
Print Post

FTTC confusion.

[link to this post]

I'm a little confused at the reasons apparently being given as to why an immediate neighbour cannot be connected to FTTC. The problem is stated as not being at the cabinet, ports are available, but rather at the exchange and that no port is available. Is there a one to one relationship between ports at the cab and ports at the exchange? I thought that individual ports were only at the cab end of the fibre. So my question is how is an FTTC connection configured at the exchange? I thought that connection to individual wholesale providers was via cable ties carrying all traffic for a given wholesaler rather than individually.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Oct-19 15:45:30
Print Post

Re: FTTC confusion.

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

There is no FTTC port at the exchange, but a fibre handover cabinet (or two) and the aggregated FTTC and/or FTTP users data is presented over a number of fibres.

It may be the capacity of a link is maxed out and a wholesaler is not taking more orders. Or it could just be a checker error with one provider if this is a new build or fairly new VDSL2 cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-19 16:04:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

Thank you.

That is what I understand the structure to be. Unless the link is maxed out, in which case why mention there being no fibre port, then either BT Openreach or the ISP is blatantly lying to my neighbour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-19 18:34:03
Print Post

Your immediate neighbour *might* be on a different cabinet, or even on an EO line, for historical reasons.

What happens if you put their phone number and yours into the dslchecker? Does it show both properties connected to the same cabinet?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-19 18:48:13
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Your immediate neighbour *might* be on a different cabinet, or even on an EO line, for historical reasons.

What happens if you put their phone number and yours into the dslchecker? Does it show both properties connected to the same cabinet?

He arranged a CFP for his street and was the 1 who will have submitted the property list to Openreach for an AIO FTTC cabinet.

I'd guess he knows if they are on the same cabinet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Oct-19 19:05:59
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

If a CFP and AIO then chances of a checker error are higher

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-19 19:09:32
Print Post

There's no might. We are all on WRVAUX 54 a small 96 port AIO cab. It has spare fibre ports. I've now spoken to my liaison at BT Openreach who has confirmed there is no reason why my neighbour's FTTC has been held up for approaching two weeks - installation day was originally scheduled 26 September. The problem would seemingly be with the wholesaler, in this case BT Wholesale. To date all we have received is lie after lie rather than a connection.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-19 19:35:41
Print Post

Just to be clear: from what you've said it sounds like the checker says that the neighbour is good to go, and they submitted an order, but the order is failing while they attempt to deliver it.

Then the error is somewhere deep in the bowels of the systems, since the public-facing information ("FTTC is available here") conflicts with the order management ("order cannot be delivered") - and like you say, it's up to them to resolve it. These things can take time, and your ISP should be escalating it on your behalf.

"Ports at the exchange" sounds like them spinning you a line - as long as the neighbour isn't getting a new BT phone line installed for this FTTC service.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-19 19:52:57
Print Post

I know they're spinning me a line. This isn't a new AIO cab, it's three years old.

A BT Openreach employee has confirmed to me tonight that there is no problem at either the exchange or the cab that would prevent my neighbour's FTTC connection being installed. The problem has to be internal to the ordering system possibly caused by the initial delay in moving the line from TalkTalk's MSAN. This was fixed on the 28th when the phone service changed from TalkTalk to BT WLR with naturally the loss of their ADSL connection via TalkTalk. They were told the cab work was scheduled for the morning of the 30 Sep.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 08-Oct-19 07:52:26
Print Post

You have been misinformed again. There is a problem at the cabinet which requires a DSLAM trained tech to diagnose and resolve, before the line can be activated.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to