General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Nov-19 10:11:25
Print Post

Re: Openreach NTE

[re: Annabelle562] [link to this post]

The above post is possible pre-spam

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 11:15:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed.

Couldn’t get any further from the actual topic if they tried

laugh

Draytek 2862.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 16:40:50
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
He has just sent me a picture and all it has on the back is vent holes in the back with no fins as such.

https://thumbsnap.com/i/PLFSU88r.jpg

I'm in the process of getting an Openreach leased circuit installed.

Do you happen to know the depth of the fibre shelf they install?

If its the shelf from your photo (above the Adva box) then looks to be about the same depth as the Adva NTE itself.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:55:27
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

It's about that depth but then the fibre tubing comes out the back.

There's a wall mounted option if you don't want a 1U splice tray or want to save the rack space.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:02:47
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Thanks jpm. We're just about bang on with rack space. If its around 200mm deep (like most trays) then it should be fine as there's a 40mm twin wall duct with a draw rope, that will contain the blown fibre tube 'shotgun' from the building entry point (where theres another brick sized transition box). Theres enough room behind it for a decent bend/sweep into the back (or corner) of the splice tray.
Standard User A1200
(newbie) Tue 23-Feb-21 18:39:42
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Hi all, my first post here. We had a lot of servers in a room at work and connected those and all client PCs and Voip phones via BTnet 100/100 connection. However some time ago we moved servers to the cloud and I moved into what was the server room. Of all the remaining equipment in the room (switches, CCTV etc), the BT supplied Cisco 2900 series router and Avda FSP150CP NTE was by far the loudest devices in here. Too noisy to properly concentrate / hold a video call.

I recently purchased a spare fan assembly for the Cisco router and replaced the 4 fans with Noctua 60mm ones (NF-A6x25 PWM) and it is running so much quieter. It isn't pushing quite as much air as the supplied ones but this room is air conditioned and the air being pushed out isn't too warm - no warning lights etc. I think its fine.

Today I took the Avda box and gave it the same treatment with Noctua 40mm fans (NF-A4x10 FLX 40mm x 10mm to be precise). Same result - much quieter but.... there must be some impedance/fan speed sensing that has detected my mod so the critical / fans LEDs are lit - busted! I assume this gear is all managed so BT will see the fault. What I am hoping is they see the issue we have and replace the unit with a fanless model previously mentioned (or they just tell me to ignore the error).

I know we are not supposed to mod this stuff but we are well into our contract and I doubt we will be moving any time soon, so this equipment will be museum stuff by the time we don't need it. If they make me pay for replacement gear, fine - at least I can hear myself think now!

eCommerce Professional

Edited by A1200 (Tue 23-Feb-21 18:41:59)

Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 23-Feb-21 19:29:39
Print Post

[re: A1200] [link to this post]

It doesn't matter how far into your contract you are, the NTE never becomes your property.

I'd be very surprised if the fan error was something that got passed to your ISP and then onto you for an appointment to be arranged.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Tue 23-Feb-21 19:54:57
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Well that made my glasses steam up looking on that link at whats on it besides the first post smile
Standard User A1200
(newbie) Tue 23-Feb-21 20:46:25
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Thanks JPM, I understood that the equipment remains the property of BT, but previously we went from a local ISP (who resold Giffin Internet based connections) to BT. When the Openreach guy turned up he swapped out the NTE and router with exactly the same make/model and left theold stuff there. We kept a hold of it for years thinking they would want it back but no, so in the end I disposed of it environentally with another load of IT. Interestingly people are selling NTE on eBay - one I saw still had the BT asset tags on it!

eCommerce Professional
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 23-Feb-21 21:15:53
Print Post

[re: A1200] [link to this post]

There’s loads of ‘surplus’ BT / Openreach stores on eBay. Make of that what you will.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to