General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-19 11:15:41
Print Post

BT 'Digital Voice' on FTTP

[link to this post]

For those of us with a copper line & FTTP, it seems BT Business no longer offer a copper voice service on their FTTP services. They now insist you take out a 'Digital Voice' (VOIP) service alongside any FTTP service. They give you a VOIP handset which you plug into their (or any?) router. They also offer a Cloud Exspress smartphone app which means you can make/receive landline calls on your mobile phone.

I guess this means BT Residential should also be releasing Digital Voice very soon for FTTP users and bin their copper & FVA* services for good smile

https://postimg.cc/0bQWhT4P

*There will be a stop-sell on FVA early next year by Openreach

FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-19 15:15:37
Print Post

Re: BT 'Digital Voice' on FTTP

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
For those of us with a copper line & FTTP, it seems BT Business no longer offer a copper voice service on their FTTP services. They now insist you take out a 'Digital Voice' (VOIP) service alongside any FTTP service. They give you a VOIP handset which you plug into their (or any?) router. They also offer a Cloud Exspress smartphone app which means you can make/receive landline calls on your mobile phone.

These VoIP Handsets, are they just Ethernet Handsets ?

I know I told BT I would be happy to use an Ethernet IP based phone, just wasn't a fan of a handset that ***REQUIRED*** their SmartHub, and I did say I would move providers if we were forced to use their SmartHub to use the phone service.

But I guess I will have to wait and see what direction they go.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-19 15:44:24
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The VOIP handsets connect wirelessly to the BT Hub, using WPS:

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/542049...

Alternatively, you can connect any standard phone directly to the hub, which means the BT Hub/router has an ATA built-in:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64641...

I guess the million dollar question is, will BT give you the VOIP login details so that you can use your own ATA or VOIP phone on a non-BT router?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-19 16:31:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
The VOIP handsets connect wirelessly to the BT Hub, using WPS:

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/542049...

Alternatively, you can connect any standard phone directly to the hub, which means the BT Hub/router has an ATA built-in:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64641...

I guess the million dollar question is, will BT give you the VOIP login details so that you can use your own ATA or VOIP phone on a non-BT router?

Well for one, WPS is disabled on our router, so that will be an issue.
Not using and will never use a BT Hub, so that will be another issue.

There are plenty VoIP Devices that use Ethernet, so I am sure BT will allow for this, if they refuse to give the VoIP information which I don't they will refuse to, but if they did I will just take my BT number and drop BT's voice service and go full VoIP, my brother did the same with his phone number and line.

*** update ***
I might actually ask BT if they will make this information upon request, lets see what happens.

*** update 2 ***
This was what BT told me 6pm tonight.
Hi Paul, at the moment we don't have any further details regarding the change from FVA. You'll be updated once the information becomes available.
That was for Residential FTTP with FVA over to VoIP.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 29-Oct-19 23:43:29)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 29-Oct-19 16:58:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well for one, WPS is disabled on our router, so that will be an issue.

Given it's history of insecurity any sane person will have turned WPS off years ago with the intention of never turning it on again. I have a feeling some newer routers don't even include it due to the issues with it.

What we could do with is a standardized method of setting up a device on a WiFi network based on the it goes into an access point mode first so I don't need a zillion different apps on my phone for each device.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-19 17:24:50
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Given it's history of insecurity any sane person will have turned WPS off years ago with the intention of never turning it on again. I have a feeling some newer routers don't even include it due to the issues with it.

+1000

WPS is flawed, but many mass market ISPs used it in their free routers (ugh: "hub") and free WiFi extenders.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 29-Oct-19 17:43:01
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Given it's history of insecurity any sane person will have turned WPS off years ago
I must have missed the memo frown thanks for making this point, I have now switched it off smile
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Nov-19 17:51:01
Print Post

I've just had Digital Voice go live today with BT Business (took out their FTTP Ultrafast Enhanced 2 330/50 service as a second FTTP service) and I can confirm you can use the supplied VOIP handset on ANY third party router, ie it doesn't work only with the Smart Hub. No issues making/receiving calls when the DECT base station was plugged into my Netgear RAX200 router.

https://i.postimg.cc/26nTv9rL/IMG-0050.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L6xDz1KD/IMG-0051.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/qBXjvF19/IMG-0052.jpg

Next step is to ask BT to port my existing VOIP number from yay.com over to BT. Nothing wrong with yay.com but as BT's VOIP service is included whether I use it or not, I can save a few £s by cancelling my yay service and sticking with BT for both voice & internet.

HTH

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 13-Nov-19 17:55:08)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Nov-19 19:18:30
Print Post

That is good to know, do you have to pay a bit more to cover the cost of the Yealink W60P ?

I know Amazon is selling them and also just the base Yealink W60B.

But yeah its good to know it uses Ethernet, BT did tell me that they are looking into different ways to provide it.

That product has a lot of features smile

Does it come with a built in answering service?
Our phones here are DECT so we would be able to pair those up, but the answering machine is built into the base.

But yeah still good news though, thanks.

Any images on the ports if there is any.

Paul

(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Nov-19 19:44:32
Print Post

Nope, no extra charge for the VOIP handset. The base station has 1 x RJ45 port & 1 power socket on the rear.

No idea about answering machine, though lots of menus on the handset have been locked down by BT.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to