General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jimneybob
(newbie) Mon 04-Nov-19 13:32:41
Print Post

BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[link to this post]

Anyone else enticed by a BT upgrade text last week to upgrade their broadband, phone and mobile packages?

We are very fortunate to be in a GFast enabled area and I could nearly throw a stone at our cabinate (not that I would actualy do that to precious electronics) - just over 100m away.

All providers that offer an Ultrafast product for our line (apart from BT) would sell me their Max speed Ultrafast 2 products.

Been deliberating upgrading for a while, but the big increase in price in what we are currently paying for our Superfast Fibre 2 connection put me off.

Anyway I took the text bait and made the phone call to BT to see what their offer would be...

I was told at the time (which I didn't believe) that Ultrafast 1 package was only available on my line. Ultrafast 2 is not available.

To cut a long story short I agreed on a very good upgrade price of just £1 extra per month on our current Superfast 2 package price to take the Ultrafast 1 package and also upgrade my girlfriend's mobile SIM only from 5Gb to 20Gb per month.

Talking through the stuff they have to go through at the end the lady mentioned the Pay as you go home phone line. I stopped her and said you never mentioned a change in the home phone contract, I'd like to stay on our existing inclusive weekend calls.

The lady made out she hadn't noticed this change "It must be new" she said.

New it might be I replied, but I don't want it, I'd like to stay on the inclusive weekend calls please.

She implied that she had made the change I requested and we finished the conversation.

Within a few minutes the order confirmation email landed and it showed Pay as you go landline!

8:30am the next morning I get back on the phone to queery the order email confirmation - got told "can't do anything at the moment until the order has completed"

Engineer visit was first thing this morning (they must be quiet on sales withonly a 4 day lead time to book the engineer visit)

All setup in a few minutes, he just changed the master socket, I'd already setup the Smarthub 2.

Getting a nice 140Mbps down and 29Mbps up. However looking in the router stats it is showing under the Maximum data rate - 302.5Mbps down and 73.8Mbps up!

So I get back on the phone to BT and ask why when I was discussing our upgrade order over the phone last week did you tell me that the Ultrafast 2 package is not available when my line quite clearly will support it? (Yes, I've checked on the ADSL guide and it does show Amber for our number)

The lady says " let me have a look for you a moment" then comes back and is quite happy to quote me a price for an Ultrafast 2 package upgrade today that was very definately "not available on my line" just last Tuesday evening????????

I also queeried the pay as you go home telephone contract and got told that this is the new contract and the inclusive weekends id no longer available anymore!

So I was quite clearly lied to on this subject when I placed my order last week.

I know I should be extreemly grateful that we have access to these very good internet speeds (and for quite a reasonable price too), but these underhanded sales tactics should not be allowed.

I'd of been willing to pay a few more quid last week for the Ultrafast 2 package when we were sorting out the deal, but to be told it wasn't available then, but it is today is just damn right stupid and I would have signed up to pay them some more money for the faster package. Go figure????????

Sorry for the rant, but why does this have to be so difficult?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Nov-19 14:06:29
Print Post

Re: BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[re: Jimneybob] [link to this post]

Skipping the weekend calls bit, but will say I don't trust the phone sales for anything, online upgrades you can read at leisure are usually better (though Amazon Prime button UI games means that even then its not foolproof).

The Ultrafast 1 versus Ultrafast 2 is down to BT Wholesale being cautious and flagging almost all G.fast lines as Amber, which translates to not totally sure on estimates and therefore in line with the move towards fairness and not over stating speeds they only make the faster product available once they've seen some actual line speed feedback. In effect this is a side effect of the push from Ofcom to be more upfront on speeds.

So now you are live and systems are seeing actual sync speeds, options for upgrade will exist.

Other providers might have handled this differently TalkTalk/Sky while same Openreach G.fast pod probably would have just ordered what you paid for i.e. if you jumped for the fastest G.fast option they'd have ordered it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:30:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jimneybob:
So I was quite clearly lied to

It's what they do.

Could well be company policy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:34:36
Print Post

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

If it is company policy then it will be documented and recommend reporting to Ofcom as once they find documented proof to mislead customers they will fine BT Group

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jimneybob
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 00:12:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply yesterday.

I think your comment on the Amber status was fairly accurate. Interstingly checking the ADSL Checker today the status has now changed from Amber to Available. I've checked a few times today on the router log and it has shown the maximum download data rate anywhere betweeen 285 - 305Mbps. So I guess having real measured data instead of just an estimate now allows them to offer an Ultrafast 2 package on my line as it is within the acceptable speed range.

Also back to my original topic of sales techniques - I've helped a friend out today who is non technical with renegotiating her broadband and phone contract. She happens to be with BT on the ADSL copper that they are phasing out. Initially they were quoting her the same price for a Superfast 1 package that we've just agreed to for their Ultrafast 1 package.

We got there in the end, all be it 4 phone calls later, with lots of twisting & turning along the way!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-19 09:39:17
Print Post

Have seen one of these emails and conclusion was that it was too soon after the phase out announcement to be the offer talked about.

Watching this ADSL at same price as 40/10 superfast product situation.

The fairness stuff was driven by Ofcom/Gov but a concern is that it is just being used to get people into new contracts and may cause issues for new providers in areas.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 10:16:41
Print Post

As long as you have decent mobile reception at home just use mobiles instead of the land line, you've probably got more than enough minutes on them.

We stopped using the land line years ago, and when we moved to Virgin we did away with the land line altogether.

Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Wed 06-Nov-19 12:06:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

IMO not a good idea to not have a POTS service and phone available.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:10:13
Print Post

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scientistnsaint:
IMO not a good idea to not have a POTS service and phone available.

As everyone who's ever watched TV knows: the first thing an axe-wielding murder always does before breaking into your home is to cut the phone line smile

Seriously though... for the generation who've grown up with mobile phones, they see a landline as inferior to a mobile in every possible way.

Having an *extra* phone number, that rings in only one physical location, and which can only process text messages by reading them out - who would pay for that??
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:28:04
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I'm past 50, and can remember using phones with dials on before mobiles even existed wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to