General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 15-Nov-19 18:35:05
Print Post

Interleaved back to fast path - timescales?

[link to this post]

Very happy with the stability of our connection.

I'm running plusnet fibre through a simple but extremely stable TP-Link TD-W9970

Uptime is normally in the months, in fact it never drops.

2 weeks ago we had an electrical fault in the house, tripped the electric several times. Then just the next day, our street had a wider unrelated electrical issue and the power was tripping all morning. I wasn't here and the router was on.

I'm synced up at 52Mbps now, max speed has climbed to 62Mbps which is a good indication a deeper level of interleaving is applied and of course the 17ms pings.

Pings are normally 9-11mm to the same source which I assume is low interleaving/fast path (but router can't tell me, limited stats).

So that's what's happened, I just wondered how long, typically would it take for DLM to see stability and switch me back to fasthpath?

Thank you

Edited by oldskool (Fri 15-Nov-19 18:37:59)

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Fri 15-Nov-19 21:05:18
Print Post

Re: Interleaved back to fast path - timescales?

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

I had a change of ISP and at the cutover point my usual low error rate jumped from less than 12 errored seconds per hour to somewhere about 1800 on the uplink. DLM saw this and put me on interleave again at somewhere about 64400kbps down and ping about 18ms.

It took about 6 days for me to get back to my usual 79998kbps down and 19999kbps up, initially 3 days or so to get FP back and then 2 resyncs after about 2 days each time that dropped SNR from 6dB to 5dB and then again to 4dB with 10ms ping.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2 - 78/20 sync
Standard User gigio68
(newbie) Fri 22-Nov-19 14:53:00
Print Post

Re: Interleaved back to fast path - timescales?

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

Hi,

BACKGROUND:
I have had issues with a "non fit for purpose" router Origin provided me (ASUS DSL-AC68U, expensive but useless).
Three weeks later I decided to buy another router, against Origin reluctance in believing that was the root cause of frequent drop-outs.

During the first 3 weeks I went from 76Mbps I could get with Plusnet (previous ISP) own router (locked to Plusnet), to 50Mbps, with some router lock-up, which could not be explained, despite my logs provided to Origin, resulting in no Internet in the house. Flicking the switch made the Asus router work again, until I reached 3 nights lock ups in a row making the speed drop even further to 44Mbps.
I did not have a way to check inteleave depth with previous router, so I have no idea where the DLM had placed my line, with that router.

THE NEW ROUTER:
It is a TP-LINK TD-W9970 v3. I managed to tweak the config SEE LINK and I am now monitoring it via DSLStats.
I have only got one day of data, so far, but I know that, since I got the new router, I have had an increase in DL speed (from 44Mbps, when using the ASUS router, to 60Mbps). I was recording the DL/UL speeds using speedtest-cli on a Raspberry pi connected via LAN into the router, before I discovered DSLStats.

INTERLEAVE DEPTH (bear with me, I am not expert on this frown )
From the data I have, I can see a depth of 4 for the Downlink and 2 for the Uplink.
What I understood from INTERLEAVING-UNDERSTANDING is that I am "one step" from FASTPATH, i.e. I will need to hope that the DLM is not stuck into the higher depths and that, at some point DLM will put me on the Fastpath.

WHAT DO I NEED TO MONITOR? (ES, FES, What else?)
What is not clear to me is, now that I am logging data from my router with DSLStats, what do I need to check, in order to have some evidence that the DLM "might" (? or is?) be stuck?
I can read 0 for ES and FES and it has been for the last day or so. From the other posts I read this is not a long time for DLM to go up one step and remove the interleave depth (will it?)
What else do I need to monitor for the next couple of weeks?

PREVIOUS ROUTER PROBLEMS AND ISP
Given the problems I had at the beginning with Origin and the router, could that have caused the DLM to be stuck?
When talking to Origin technical guys, they told me different stories, from the copper to the capability of my FTCC, the distance from the cabinet, blah blah blah.
I told them that I could reach 76Mbps with Plusnet. The issue was the router.
Why are Origin still saying that OpenReach cannot see any problems with the line?
I see from NGA profiles that some ISPs are known to use NGA standard profile, hence Origin might not even bother asking OpenReach to put me on a NGA speed profile.

QUESTIONS
Should I ask Origin about what NGA profile they use, or they ask OpenReach to provide their managed lines? At the moment I am happy with the stability of the connection - No dropouts of service for the last week or so.

Can a disconnection from the DSL port - remove the DSL cable from the plug, as hinted here - for a number of hours, cause the DLM to get unstuck?

If I reset the router - I have done a few resets to tweak it so I could get DSLStats to work - does the DLM see those resets as problems on the line, and hence "downgrade" my line with higher interleave depth?

Does high interleave depth mean lower speed, higher pings, both? I think it does, but I would just like to check.

Many thanks for whoever is keen to help. Sorry, I see I have many questions.

Sorry for the level of questions. As I said, I am learning here.

Jo

Edited by gigio68 (Fri 22-Nov-19 14:54:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to