General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-19 12:58:07
Print Post

Major difference in single threaded speedtests

[link to this post]

So on TBBs single thread i get around 150-180mbps but on speedtest.net i get 480mbps

what would cause such a huge difference?

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:17:07
Print Post

Re: Major difference in single threaded speedtests

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Speedtest.net defaults to multi-threading. Simples.

On most devices you can change it to single thread, just under or to the side of the large GO button. See what that gives.

Edit: Oops, I hadnít noticed your actual tbb graphic. Whatís the problem, other than the tbb multithread is faster than the other. Suggesting the other may have a server capacity problem.

Your links to Speedtest.net in your sig just take us to do a test, not to your results.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 17-Nov-19 13:22:03)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:22:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The OP shows a speedtest.net single thread at 494/498 Mbps and Multi at 512/539 the little arrows confirm it red/green single, blue/purple multi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:26:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Your links to Speedtest.net in your sig just take us to do a test, not to your results.
When I clicked they took me to results.

As MHC says, the Speedtest.net data looks good.

The question is really if Vodafone have a similar problem as Virgin Media had, with congestion on their link to Thinkbroadband. The Thinkbroadband test is WAY down in speed.

147 and 268 versus 400+ on speedtest.net

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
Back to cable after 15 years, VM due 22nd Nov.
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:29:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Noticed the ookla test is to a vodafone server so probably stayed on net, where as leaving network there are issues

Is our network contending, nothing visible and network monitoring would alert well ahead of nodes hitting the actual limit

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:31:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by epyon:
what would cause such a huge difference?

Probably down to your location. I'm also in North Scotland (Inverness) and have never seen single thread speeds on TBB tester match multi on three different FTTP 330 lines (FluidOne, Trunk Networks & BT Business). Yet my single & multi-thread speeds are identical on almost every speedtest.net server. So you're not alone smile (and nothing to be concerned about IMHO)

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:36:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ummm. I donít know why I didnít get to those results before. Probably finger trouble this end frown.

I wonder what happens if he uses a non-Vodafone server elsewhere in the country.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:37:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Noticed the ookla test is to a vodafone server so probably stayed on net, where as leaving network there are issues

That would explain it!

Is our network contending, nothing visible and network monitoring would alert well ahead of nodes hitting the actual limit

Yes, I've seen over 1000 Mbps, from a corporate connection to your server, so suspected any issues wouldn't be on your network. As you detailed extensively for the VM issues a year or so ago smile

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
Back to cable after 15 years, VM due 22nd Nov.
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:41:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes. As just explained to MHC, I seem to have had finger trouble.

But the tbb graphic shows the multi-threading giving what I would expect from a 500Mbps sync speed. With user-end buffering causing the above 500 peak reading.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:43:11
Print Post

Can you post single thread results from the Xilo Speedtest.net server? If ok, then nothing wrong with your connection as thatís a pretty reliable ookla server.

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to