General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ascot61
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-19 01:37:14
Print Post

Download works, upload doesn't - Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi

I've been with Plusnet for a while now and using the standard router. We have a FTTC connection and the box is only about 700m away. In the last few days I've noticed that I am now unable to UPLOAD any files over my connection.

I get good tone on my phone over the extension but I've still tried connecting the router direct to the BT master socket. I've tried various devices over wifi and powerline and even cat5 but still no luck. Even over the wifi in the pub down the road (only to try to troubleshoot my connection issues at home of course wink ) I was able to upload picture files to One Drive over their wifi.

Even the TBB speed test stops working once it gets to step 3.

I just want to see if there is anything else I can try before I embark on the CS journey.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Nov-19 05:50:10
Print Post

Re: Download works, upload doesn't - Plusnet

[re: Ascot61] [link to this post]

Are you able to switch off WiFi from the router, and just try a single ethernet connection ?

Standard User Ascot61
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-19 06:51:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've tried that now - switched off WiFi at the router - no difference, Tbb speed checker still hangs at step 3 and uploads will not complete.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Nov-19 07:51:35
Print Post

[re: Ascot61] [link to this post]

Do you have security software?
Can you upload pictures to social media or a sharing site such as photo bucket or imgur?

Can you send emails with attachments?

Have you knowingly run any “optimisation” software to change your MTU ?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
Back to cable after 15 years, VM due 22nd Nov.
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-19 09:38:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

First step what speeds is the vdsl2 modem connected at.

Second we know you have some upload, since downloading of TCP needs upload to ack that you received a download packet, just that the upload speed available is very low or something is very busy saturating your upload

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PeterWorks
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-19 10:55:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I too am having this problem - only started in the last couple of days. I am trying to upload a 1Gb file to Google Drive but it isn't happening. My monitor shows latency going through the roof.
I have contacted PlusNet and put out a fault. They have confirmed there is a problem with my service (FTTC) so will see what they come up with.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-19 11:02:58
Print Post

[re: PeterWorks] [link to this post]

So the question again is what are the sync speeds reported by the modem? If they are good, may well be a problem in the Plusnet side

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PeterWorks
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-19 11:14:36
Print Post

Thanks MrSaffron,

Sync speeds, etc:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 5039 30893
Max Rate(kbps) 5306 36535
SNR Margin(dB) 6.4 5.8
Line Attenuation(dB) 38.1 17.8
Errors(pkts) 73 145

(Tried to find a way to attach a screen capture but could not find one - hope you can make sense of this)

Peter
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-19 11:21:52
Print Post

[re: PeterWorks] [link to this post]

5 Mbps upload sync speed - so no idea what you usually have but should be upload data with those sync speeds

Standard User PeterWorks
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-19 11:26:03
Print Post

The speeds quoted are what I consistently get. Will await PlusNet's response/actions to my ticket.
Might be of interest to know where the original posters location is - I am on the Isle of Wight.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to