General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cjgpers
(learned) Fri 29-Nov-19 11:19:53
Print Post

How is FTTP speed regulated

[link to this post]

How is the FTTP maximum speed regulated? Is this something set at the exchange, or somewhere else within BT's own infrastructure systems?

I ask because I'm currently stuck on a maximum download speed of 74Mbps on BT's new Fibre 100 service. I'm scheduled to have another return call from BT sometime today, so want to be prepared for any excuses they try to give as to why I'm on a Stayfast Guarantee of 34Mbps on their Fibre 100 product.

At the moment it seems that the only way I can get a 150/30 service is to update to Halo 2 as well frown

Packages

Arthur Young
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Nov-19 11:30:51
Print Post

Re: How is FTTP speed regulated

[re: cjgpers] [link to this post]

Possibility they've connected you with the 80/20 wholesale product rather than the 160/30 product

Fibre 100 products are usually based on the 160 Mbps product.

The Halo products are new and their product description pages can be a bit of a mess. Looking at the page you managed to find your 74 Mbps is in the expected speed range i.e. I think the Halo 1 with Fibre 100 title is incorrect.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cjgpers
(regular) Fri 29-Nov-19 11:41:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, still a bit confused. How do I get BT (or is it Openreach) to connect me to the correct wholesale product. Can you suggest specifically what I need to ask them to do.

Looking at a BT Wholesale test, it seems to say my FTTP service has an IP profile of 73.79 Mbps.

BT Wholesale Test

Arthur Young

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Nov-19 12:02:47
Print Post

You missed my part about I think the Halo 1 with Fibre 100 product is wrong.

NOTE: This is the sales page, what does it say in your actual account for what you are connected to. What speeds did they suggest as average and guaranteed speed when you signed up?

Halo 1 and Halo 2 is nothing to do with different speeds, the extra with Halo 2 is the Complete Wi-Fi package

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cjgpers
(regular) Fri 29-Nov-19 12:30:46
Print Post

So, I'm switching from FTTP Superfast Fibre 2 to the new Fibre 100 product. I was told I would have a stayfast guarantee of 100Mbps. BT have had endless problems putting the order through, and I'm due another callback today, so want to be prepared for the call. My account page says I'm on Halo with Fibre 100.

As per my original question, I'm struggling to explain the problem to BT. Just looking for some pointers as to where the speed limit is actually imposed. Is this an Openreach problem, or a BT problem?

Arthur Young
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Nov-19 13:10:15
Print Post

You're probably one of BT's first customers to go onto their new Fibre 100 product (160/30)) so its most likely a teething problem with BT's ordering systems, ie they have incorrectly provisioned you with 80/20 instead of 160/30. Just explain to them the Fibre 100 service comes with speeds of around 145mb/s, and you're currently getting nowhere near that:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59868...

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 29-Nov-19 13:18:15)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-19 13:16:32
Print Post

Halo 1 and Halo 2 can both have complete wifi added to the package.

Halo 2 comes with engineer visits from BT to come and advise you on your computer setup and fix any issues you have including with PCs, etc. Apparently they will setup new devices, boost your broadband and help fine tune your home setup... You can have a home visit once a year under halo 2.

They also say halo 2 comes with the Smart Hub 2 but I had thought that was standard with the fibre packages anyway.

As far as the Fibre 100 goes I have Halo 1 with Fibre 100 on FTTP and get 150/30. 100 is the minimum guaranteed product speed but it states in my package normal download would be 150 and normal upload 30.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-19 13:17:57
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If it is FTTP then it is 150/30 rather than 160/20. I am on it and was moved over to it about a month ago I think. I was on BT Plus before that.

The minimum guaranteed speed on the package is 100Mb/s so they are below even that even considering it should be doing 150.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Nov-19 13:29:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks, have corrected my post wrt upload. However I believe the 'sync' rate is 160 Mbs, throughput after overhead is around 150 Mb/s.

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Nov-19 13:36:28
Print Post

A crucial bit of information...

So it looks like they've not actually actioned the upgrade at the network level, i.e. your package naming may have changed but the regrade has not happened yet.

So its I was on the old 80 Mbps down FTTP product and should be moving to the 160 Mbps product but this does not appear to have happened yet.

The simpler version...I am still getting the same speeds as I had previously with you and have not seen any increase since I started paying for the upgrade.

NOTE: You say switching, what date did BT give you for when the switch over would happen.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to