General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 11-Jan-20 18:36:36
Print Post

FTTP Install Process

[link to this post]

I have two friends who live next door to each other and both have FTTP available to them via the same infrastructure but on the DSL checker one shows as a Stage 1 install and the other shows as a KCI2 Assure install.

Can anyone explain what the difference is
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Jan-20 19:16:17
Print Post

Re: FTTP Install Process

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Stage 1 install date should be quick to get, KCI 2 it will need someone to possible have a peak to figure out what needs doing e.g. pre-visit to check that ducting on your property is clear and unblocked.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 11-Jan-20 19:23:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Stage 1 install date should be quick to get, KCI 2 it will need someone to possible have a peak to figure out what needs doing e.g. pre-visit to check that ducting on your property is clear and unblocked.
Thank you Andrew that makes sense as one is feed OH and the other UG

Edited by dect (Sat 11-Jan-20 19:29:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 11:55:13
Print Post

Dect, Can you give updates on order to install time if you have the time. As things have changed alot over the years with the install process, it will give those who may need that info some extra guidance
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 15:13:29
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In case it is of interest I noticed in September that BT had implemented FTTP for my estate - I had seen some Openreach vans around on and off for a short while but was surprised when I looked on BT for a different reason that it was suddenly offering FTTP (I thought at first it was a checker error).

Anyway, I ordered FTTP on 29 September 2019. An engineer did the outside works on 1 October and left a bundle of fibre coming out of the ground at the front door. Router arrived on 9 October. Engineer (same chap as first visit) came on 11 October to finish the cabling in to the living room and connect up the router. The engineer was at the house for over an hour doing a very tidy job (even hid the spare fibre in a loop inside of a dummy NTE5C so as to keep it safe) - and he declined the offer of biscuits but did have a coffee.

Less than 2 weeks from order to completion. The estate is about 3 years old and didn't have FTTP when it was originally built, FTTC was poor to the house because there was some sort of issue with cabling but I had been there for only a couple of months and hadn't got around to contacting BT. The estate is fully ducted, no overhead wiring.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 15:41:37
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
Dect, Can you give updates on order to install time if you have the time. As things have changed alot over the years with the install process, it will give those who may need that info some extra guidance
Hi Taras

Totally agree, if my two different friends who have the two different FTTP install options (Stage 1 / KCI2 Assure) available to them decide to order I will track the progress and report back smile
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 16:14:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Ian

Was your install showing on the DSL checker as Stage 1 or KCI2 Assure?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 16:35:30
Print Post

Mine is showing as KCI2 assure but not sure if that was the case before I ordered it. However, looking at the checker it looks like everyone in the street is "KCI2 Assure".
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 16:40:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Mine is showing as KCI2 assure but not sure if that was the case before I ordered it. However, looking at the checker it looks like everyone in the street is "KCI2 Assure".
Thanks, that would reinforce what Andrew said about the difference between Stage 1 and KCI2 assure as you said you was feed via duct.
Standard User E300
(learned) Mon 13-Jan-20 16:54:09
Print Post

I had FTTP on Demand and they had coiled up fibre outside my house (under ground duct), when the checker was updated I was Stage 1.

When Openreach first pulled rope through, they tried to do the neighbouring properties on the same DP as well, but because the existing telephone cable for them came up behind a tile (tiled porch) it would mean breaking the tile out to access the duct, and they didn't want to do this given the neighbours hadn't ordered (yet anyway). Those houses are shown as KCI 2 Assure with a note that the underground duct has not been evaluated, i.e. they don't know if clear or not.

I should think to be underground and stage 1, then you would have blue rope already pulled through, or already have fibre pulled through.

Edited by E300 (Mon 13-Jan-20 16:55:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to