General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rman
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-20 11:12:11
Print Post

Moving from FTTPoD to FTTP

[link to this post]

I've had a search but couldn't find any information, i'm coming to the end of my 12 month contract with cerberus and will be looking to switch to a cheaper native line.

Does the switch work in a normal way or is there something else that needs to happen?

Cheers!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Feb-20 12:05:08
Print Post

Re: Moving from FTTPoD to FTTP

[re: rman] [link to this post]

Yes, a normal switch. It is technically bog-standard FTTP. Other people on the same DP could order that as soon as your FTTPoD was installed. Have you asked Cerberus what their standard FTTP prices are?

I canít see them on their website but it does say:-
After the standard 12 month contract, FTTP on Demand can be re-graded to a regular Cerberus FTTP service. These services typically have lower pricing and a wider range of bandwidth options than the on Demand variant of FTTP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 04-Feb-20 12:05:57)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 04-Feb-20 12:27:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cerberus standard FTTP prices are at https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/connectivity-broa...

Unfortunately, last I heard, there is no "working line takeover" process for FTTP. (EDIT: Someone please correct me if this is wrong, but Google doesn't seem to show any news on this topic)

If you have a workable backup connection (e.g. FTTC or 4G) that will keep you going for a few weeks then you could just cease the old service and order new. There are some companies that will sell you FTTC on 1-month contract.

Otherwise, if you don't want to lose service: place the new order now with the new ISP, and keep the old service running. Openreach will most likely install a second ONT in your property (pulling a second fibre in), or possibly swap your ONT for a four-port one. When the new service is live, then cancel the old one. You will end up paying for service during the overlap, and of course you have the hassle of having another engineer visit, more drilling etc - unless you already have an older installation with 4-port ONT and/or a 4-strand fibre from external CSP.

Edited by candlerb (Tue 04-Feb-20 12:31:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rushmere2012
(newbie) Tue 04-Feb-20 13:09:04
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I performed a line transfer from BT to Zen a couple of years ago and I only have a single port ONT:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4601009-fttp...

Next to no downtime as after engineer updated ONT details was a quick swap, but annoyingly I had 2x services live which I was being charged for even though I only have a single port.

I am currently looking at swapping back to BT as I saw last week my existing 160/30 connection for £39.99 (less £160 cashback and £100 gift card), but unfortunately their system wont let me complete online (assuming because I already have an active FTTP connection).

I may wait to see what March brings with the new tariffs though.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Tue 04-Feb-20 13:40:24
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

I regraded my FTTPoD to a FTTP with Cerberus. It was straightforward however I did have an IP address change after about a Month that I wasn't expecting
Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 04-Feb-20 14:41:53
Print Post

[re: lincsat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lincsat:
I regraded my FTTPoD to a FTTP with Cerberus. It was straightforward however I did have an IP address change after about a Month that I wasn't expecting

I will be in a similar position at the end of March - I'm waiting to see if Cerberus change their prices or introduce new tiers for March 23rd. Did they offer you any sort of discount on the listed prices? Did you have to pay any activation fee? As I don't need a router I wonder if they would offer a small discount.

Their FTTPoD product doesn't come with a static IP address so it probably changed after you regraded to FTTP and your router next restarted the PPPoE connection.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Edited by brookheather (Tue 04-Feb-20 14:44:06)

Standard User E300
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-20 15:30:21
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
I will be in a similar position at the end of March - I'm waiting to see if Cerberus change their prices or introduce new tiers for March 23rd. Did they offer you any sort of discount on the listed prices? Did you have to pay any activation fee? As I don't need a router I wonder if they would offer a small discount.

Their FTTPoD product doesn't come with a static IP address so it probably changed after you regraded to FTTP and your router next restarted the PPPoE connection.

I'm on Cerberus FTTP on Demand and have a static IP address (IPv4 and 6), I didn't think Cerberus did anything else on their broadband, maybe that changed recently?

It would be a pain if it changes when remaining with them as I need for work to get various firewalls updated to allow access, and an incentive to stay would be not having to sort out a new IP address from another ISP.

I think the IP address changing was a mistake and a help ticket to them would have put it back. When I first went live the IP address handed to me was different to that provided on my documentation (that I had already given to various people for firewall access). I opened a case and within minutes they had changed it to what it should have been.

Still I've got 10 months before I need to worry about it.

Edited by E300 (Tue 04-Feb-20 15:31:18)

Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 04-Feb-20 16:07:06
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
I'm on Cerberus FTTP on Demand and have a static IP address (IPv4 and 6), I didn't think Cerberus did anything else on their broadband, maybe that changed recently?

On FTTPoD the IPv6 subnet is static but the IPv4 address is sticky not static - mine has changed a couple of times in 10 months when rebooting my router a few times. Generally it will reconnect with the same IPv4 address but I think if you leave it turned off for a while it will reconnect on a different address. You can check whether you have a static IPv4 address assigned on your control panel:

https://nc2.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/index.php?f=view_...

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Edited by brookheather (Tue 04-Feb-20 16:07:47)

Standard User E300
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-20 16:29:32
Print Post

You can check whether you have a static IPv4 address assigned on your control panel:

Thanks for the info. I've checked and it shows in the control panel both my 'static' IPv4 address and the IPv6 address. If I click on Settings it shows # Static IPs: 1, if I click on Order IPs I get options to upgrade to 4 static IPs or 6 static IPs, no 1 static option. It doesn't explicitly say anywhere that my IPv4 or v6 is static, just shows what they are, so I'm not 100% sure now but given I don't have an upgrade option for 1 static IP and it mentions 1 static IP under settings, it appears to be, going to be a pain if it changes!

Oh just seen on my Inventory Report it says: Cerberus FTTP on Demand - Uncapped, 1 IP, 12 month contract. So I think it must be static then.

Edited by E300 (Tue 04-Feb-20 16:32:23)

Standard User lincsat
(regular) Tue 04-Feb-20 17:04:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by brookheather:
In reply to a post by lincsat:

There was no activation fee and the only discount was the "Transition discount" advertised on their site but it ends in March.

I got a new user/pass for the PPPoE connection as well, the IP change was likely tied to that.

As an aside, 2 Months after the regrade, I got a visit from OR with a work order to install a new FTTP splitter on the pole for my address. They didn't do anything when they found I already had a FTTP connection
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to