General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burble
(committed) Thu 02-Apr-20 13:39:14
Print Post

FTTP reliablity?

[link to this post]

Yesterday AFAIK all those in village on FTTP lost t'internet again, this is the second time in less than a year, couldn't ask OR engineers why, but last I saw they were working chamber to chamber back towards exchange looking for the fault. I'm wondering if this is likely to be a faulty install or faulty equipment. It certainly makes the claims of fault free(or at least less faults) internet with FTTP look a bit silly.
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Thu 02-Apr-20 13:52:00
Print Post

Re: FTTP reliablity?

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Cannot help you there but I can say that I have been on FTTP since 2013 having originally been on the Plusnet FTTP trial and have never had a single fault or loss of internet it has been a rock steady connection.

PlusNet FTTP - Unlimited Fibre Extra
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Apr-20 14:01:08
Print Post

Not all of us have been saying FTTP is fault free, faults are still possible just should generally be less.

How many connections in the village? It could be just a poor joint in a splitter if its affecting a small village. Also things can happen to still break fibre, be that animals nibbling cable to a tree falling onto some overhead fibre.

Presume the ONT was showing its fault LED colour, since if that was its usual green suggests not a local light issue at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rman
(regular) Thu 02-Apr-20 14:35:15
Print Post

For comparison, in the year i've had FTTPoD my line has been stable throughout, not a single noticeable drop in service and speed test have always been great.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 02-Apr-20 14:48:20
Print Post

No issues here, had FTTPoD for almost a year. Only gripe is how long it's taking to process a simple regrade, but otherwise the connection is working fine and has done so for the duration of the service.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Apr-20 15:46:03
Print Post

Its been fine here since end of 2016, nothing is fault free, sure its resistant to noise, but the fibre cables can still break.

Paul

Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Thu 02-Apr-20 17:32:07
Print Post

Physical Failures
As with all physical failures they will follow the bathtub curve (Google it if not familiar).

Early life failure - faulty install/equipment
Random Failure - Digging through cable, something just breaking
End of Life Failure - Stuff gets old and dies e.g. corrosion of metals holding something

You are potentially in early life failure zone, Copper has been through early life failure. I would say that the chance of physical faults are going to be about the same except for some nuances around age of equipment. The chances of someone digging your fibre/copper or tree falling on fibre/copper remain constant.

Non-Physical Failure
The, it just needs a reboot, noise on the line, stuff is likely to be a lot less due to the reduced factors that can affect the system.

So I would say it is likely to be more reliable in operation, until it breaks physically, and then it is the same.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 02-Apr-20 18:15:38
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

Fibre optic cables are enclosed in some pretty strong stuff, the way they were pulling at them and tugging them through the pipes round our way is testament to that.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Apr-20 18:27:26
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Yes, they are strong, just don't like being bent around a tight radius. In data centres fibre optic cabling is used for all sorts of networks.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 02-Apr-20 18:41:02
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

They were pulling and tugging the empty tubes. The fibres are blown in when all the huffing and puffing has been done.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to