General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thejinkazama
(learned) Fri 03-Apr-20 18:22:06
Print Post

Switching fibre provider during epidemic

[link to this post]

Hello,

My Sky Fibre contract recently ended and my price has gone from £30 to £42. A search online suggests that I can get TalkTalk 'Faster Fibre' for around half that on an 18 month contract. From what I can gather, both are provided by Openreach so speeds should be similar. Is that right?

Secondly, and more importantly, is it sensible to change provider at this point? Again, research indicates that an engineer visit wouldn't be required but we need an internet connection to work from home and I'm worried that a visit might be necessary. What would you advise?

Thanks
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 03-Apr-20 18:32:27
Print Post

Re: Switching fibre provider during epidemic

[re: thejinkazama] [link to this post]

If you phone Sky and tell them you are planning to cancel (quoting the TalkTalk offer), they will generally twist your arm to stay by offering you a price you can't refuse.
(learned) Fri 03-Apr-20 18:36:34
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about that too but saw on their website that the advice is "Please don’t call us, as we're prioritising our most vulnerable customers and key workers at this time."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 03-Apr-20 19:02:26
Print Post

[re: thejinkazama] [link to this post]

You'll be facing a 1-2 wait minimum. I wouldn't advising making a change now if you absolutely cant afford for things to go wrong
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Apr-20 19:09:34
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

1-2 (what) wait?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Apr-20 19:20:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

1-2 week I presume. This is down to the 10 day migration notice mandatory wait to help stop lines being slammed between providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Fri 03-Apr-20 19:33:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, I think it's better to be safe than sorry in this instance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Apr-20 19:35:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was thinking more probably 1-2 months precisely because of the standard ten working days provision you cite smile.

There may have been some completed in under a fortnight but other than emergency ones I don't recall anyone posting about one.

The post did come from someone we know has more information than most of us, and given the constraints the relevant part(s) of BT will be working under and it involves a move from Sky to TalkTalk at the exchange ….

I spent about 90 minutes in chat and on rapidly answered phone yesterday talking to BT Business support, (two reps), and Residential Sales. All were working from home and the first BTB one needed to make enquiries from colleagues all of who were also working from home. Which rather slowed things down.

In the end a BT Wholesale > BT Wholesale migration was arranged with a confirmed (so far) date of 15 April.

Edit:
Or of course the poster meant a 1-2 hour wait on the phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 03-Apr-20 19:41:16)

Standard User rman
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-20 01:13:02
Print Post

I'm doing exactly this next week, i'm ceasing my line with cerberus and then signing up with BT for the Full Fibre 900 connection.

Due to happen Monday so i'll feed back what happens.

If it takes more that the normal up to 3 days i'll be on 4G for a while!
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 04-Apr-20 09:55:14
Print Post

1-2 hour wait on the phone to sky

Edited by witchunt (Sat 04-Apr-20 10:01:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to