General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chriswillsher
(newbie) Wed 03-Jun-20 13:58:10
Print Post

FTTP frustration

[link to this post]

Is there anyway that one can contact Openreach to find out what is happening? We have had fibre installed in the ducts and between the poles since Autumn 2017 but we understand that there were then told that there were some unforeseen infrastructure issues. Recently all the pole connections have been updated to the new style and our exchange is now showing on the scotlandsuperfast website map as FTTP enabled but my own address is still showing as scheduled to get up to 1Gbps FTTP "coming soon". With any other type of business one could talk to someone to find out what is causing the delay but I can't find any relevant contact details for Openreach. My exchange is Madderty (ESMAD) and my postcode PH7 3PJ. The exchange has been promised superfast broadband since right back to 2015 but for one reason or another this has never happened and the target date on the above mentioned website has moved every few months since then. Frustrated does not adequately describe how I feel!
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 03-Jun-20 14:06:16
Print Post

Re: FTTP frustration

[re: chriswillsher] [link to this post]

Have you tried contact Openreach using this form?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband-availabili...

They've responded to me in the past when asking quesitons about moving Exchange Only line to BDUK infill FTTC. They ain't quick though.

There used to be a webchat functionality, but I think they've turned it off.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Jun-20 14:07:31
Print Post

The FTTP enabled on exchange is a misnomer as likely fibre will head to a place with a bigger exchange

Not seen any live FTTP on that exchange yet, if you want an idea of timescale can try and ask for you, email me andrew at thinkbroadband dot com

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Swertpea
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 19:21:59
Print Post

Not the only resident fed up with Madderty Exchange. Band with unsteady, signal constantly drops out. Exchange outdated and needs total replacement. Fibre not available to all village residents. This should be clearly stated. Installation costs to some will be prohibitive.
Standard User chriswillsher
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 19:37:31
Print Post

[re: Swertpea] [link to this post]

We have today received an explanation from Openreach as to why they stopped the planned installation of FTTP to the village. Apparently they found that approximately 1.5Km of ducting needed to be replaced on a rural road that would have needed closure permission and the project had run out of both time and money. I find this a bit odd as they had the road closed for 5 days with two diggers and a pile of plastic pipes onsite and did nothing for the whole week. Also they had teams unblocking the ducts a year or so ago.

Anyway that's where we are and now must pursue other options under the Community Fibre Partnership and Gigabit voucher schemes or wait to see if we get included in the R100 programme?

I tried the USO option and got quoted £50-60,000 and 18 months for my property alone.
I guess that we never get told the whole story?

If you are connected to the Madderty Exchange, please send me a PM with contact details so that I can keep you updated with any plans. My name is in the phone book anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to