General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 12:46:32
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

Getting better Seedorf.

Look forward to seeing you're 910 / 110 screen grabs at full speed. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Fri 26-Jun-20 12:48:20
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

yes i will do Taras thanks,

As for my friends install he ran into complications, he came home from work to meet the engineer but there has been an issue and they are going to have to do a re dig, not covering themselves in glory at the moment are they!

Will have a look at the RAX120 although i didn't really want to be forking out £350 when the latter wasn't cheap.

One question when gaming would it be better to put ps4 behind a router or would i get better performance going direct to the ONT and getting nat type 1?

Presume ONT to ps4 would give purest connection but security maybe an issue anyone advise on this for me.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 26-Jun-20 13:04:26
Print Post

The RAX120 is a wifi 6 router so like most 802.11ax routers, it won't be cheap. However if you're happy to stick with a wifi 5 (802.11ac) router, then go for the excellent Asus RT-AC86U - it can be bought for £150-£200 on Amazon.

Re: direct connection to ONT, only the router should be connected to the ONT as it needs to authenticate using PPPoE. If you try to plug anything into the other RJ45 ports on the ONT (assuming you have a 4 port version with 1 live FTTP service) then they will be inactive ports. Just plug your PS4 into the router directly.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 26-Jun-20 13:04:42
Print Post

Does the ps4 even do PPPoE??

Even if it did, you are talking literally microseconds of difference, even for a large packet (with gigabit ethernet: 1500 bytes = 12,000 bits @ 1Gbps = 12 microseconds)

If this still worries you, then you could get a router with a 10G LAN port, and put a 10G NIC in your PC, and then that extra latency is cut down to minimum - and it means you can still share your Internet connection with the rest of the house.

Or, you can move house. 12 microseconds round-trip is equivalent to moving 1.2km closer to the exchange.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Fri 26-Jun-20 13:05:05
Print Post

I'm not aware that a PS4 can create a PPPoE connection so you would need to use a router.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Fri 26-Jun-20 14:41:28
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Yes the ps4 you can create a PPPoE connection i was just brain storming and wondered whether there would be any benefits when gaming if we took the router out all together.

Just a thought its nothing to get hung up about.

Anyways looks like i am getting the right speeds and will update with screen grabs when i get the chance.

Cheers amazing work from you all
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Mon 29-Jun-20 15:56:13
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Switched back to the xr500 as i wanted to run a bqm which the SH2 does not allow, currently speaking with netgear customer service and are awaiting there outcome i think they are going to send me a replacement or an upgraded router which i must admit is very good service seeing as it is out of warranty, i'll update the outcome on this..

wanted your opinion on the link below, nice steady line however can see a little packet loss, is this something of a concern?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jun-20 18:30:02
Print Post

Nice on the router, I hope it works ok with your new speed.

The BQM looks ok, those packet loss spikes could also be due to your router, I also have a few very small ones.

I assume you are not near London, probably up north ? due to you having 8 to 9 ms min latency to the BQM Server.

It looks like you also either did a speedtest about 5pm.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Mon 29-Jun-20 19:34:15
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yes bro I’m in greater Manchester.

I thought it was the case that packet loss could be down to the router so hopefully a newer model will make them less frequent, not that I have noticed any issues, also I reported about the IP address changing constantly but so far it’s stayed the same so seems like things are settling down.

Maybe running the SH2 for a few days has fixed a few things.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jun-20 23:14:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
Yes bro I’m in greater Manchester.

I thought you might be.

I thought it was the case that packet loss could be down to the router so hopefully a newer model will make them less frequent, not that I have noticed any issues, also I reported about the IP address changing constantly but so far it’s stayed the same so seems like things are settling down.

Yeah, we don't notice any issues with ours due to the latency is so low and a packet re-send would be so quick.

Assuming that the new routers WAN to LAN Throughput is up to handling that speed.

I think your IP was changing so many times due to your router was dropping connection when it was rebooting all the time, my old Linksys router does the same when used on our connection, its the "Watch Dog" feature in the router thinking the router has crashed due to the CPU in it cannot keep up to ping itself, hence the reboot.

Also with FTTP there is nothing to settle down, it either works or it doesn't.

Maybe running the SH2 for a few days has fixed a few things.

I very much doubt it, what speeds did you see on the SH2 did you get your full speeds on speedtest.net and TBB tests?

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to