General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:08:31
Print Post

Full Fibre 900

[link to this post]

So i have the 900 package with BT went live on the 8th, having been getting full speeds, download was capped to 50 but that has been fixed now at 101 upload however my download is averaging at 500.

The threshold is 455 and the person i spoke with on the BT fibre team says that my profile is all synced now and 500 must be the best i can get, this was frustrating to hear.

Fibre has only just rolled out in my area and i was the first to get it, was told by openreach engineers to expect close to a gig so it is a little disappointing news today, will look to downgrade to the 500 package as there is no point paying for 900!!
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:11:47
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

I'd ring again and hope you get someone better informed
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:27:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
The threshold is 455 and the person i spoke with on the BT fibre team says that my profile is all synced now and 500 must be the best i can get, this was frustrating to hear.

That person doesn't understand the different technology, the comment relates to the DSL service such as FTTC.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:35:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Agreed, I have only had this issue once when on the 300 package a few years back, but that was due to BT system put me into an over populated block of connections, I asked to be moved to another less populated block.
Then woke up the next day to see the connection had reset and now all was fine back to normal and I have never had any issues since.

So depending on who you get, they might just move the OP connection.

I am always polite to them on the phone no matter the issues, and 95% of the time it pays off.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:49:56
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

will speak with someone else and hope for better results
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 22-Jun-20 16:14:53
Print Post

How are you testing? If you have done a test to the thinkbroadband.com tester, can you share the link which includes the graph with the yellow line that shows how the speed varies during the test execution?

It could well be that it's your own equipment which is limiting the speed to 500M, and this may be clearer from seeing the shape of the graph. The fact that you have ~100 upload means you're on the right profile.

It's not uncommon to have to do tuning on your machine to get gigabit speed. One thing you can try is booting from a Linux live USB stick and doing a test from that. This eliminates Windows network drivers, antivirus etc, and if you achieve 900M with that, you know where to focus your efforts.

Another possibility is that if you're doing a browser-based speed test, the performance of your browser can be the limit. Try a CLI speed tester instead.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jun-20 16:19:44
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

What @candlerb said is correct but I'd just add, are you using wired or a wireless connection..455mbits sounds like an issue in your home network more than anything

Try also connecting direct to the ont and opening a pppoe connection
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Jun-20 17:58:23
Print Post

It may be your PC/laptop that is unable to reach above 500Mb/s.

Do you have another machine you can test with (wired)?

As suggested by others a link to a ThinkBroadband speed test (with the graph) can help diagnose issues.
Standard User mikeyboi
(member) Mon 22-Jun-20 18:01:36
Print Post

I had Fibre 900 installed on the 17th June, was also getting over 500Mb on ethernet using a cli speedtest. Reset my Router (Asus GT-AX11000) and once set back up again I was able to get about 920ish on the same speedtests over ethernet.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Mon 22-Jun-20 18:35:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
So i have the 900 package with BT went live on the 8th, having been getting full speeds, download was capped to 50 but that has been fixed now at 101 upload however my download is averaging at 500.

Are you saying you were previously getting the full (~900 Mbps) download but that is no longer the case? If so and your hardware hasn't changed then this points to an issue with BT rather than something at your end.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to