General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:43:02
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

No I’m not using both at same time I switch between the two see what’s has best results.

When I get the call tomorrow I’ll mention why I got the older version.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 22:15:57
Print Post

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

Try directly connecting the laptop to the ont, via the wan cable.

Create a pppoe connection and then run the test
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 22:44:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Erm, I am not reading that wrong am I, but you don't have them both (Netgear and Smarthub) connected up do you ?

That thought had crossed my mind too. Hence my Q!

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Was it you that said your IP kept changing (might be somebody else), but that could be the router rebooting due to it not being able to keep up and thinking it had crashed.

Paul

It was Seedorf, and again that was my thinking too. The quickest route would be to do a direct pppoe connection to the ont and hopefully the laptop nic is up to the job!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 00:11:35
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

this is the results of going direct to the ONT to laptop, funnily enough appears worse than the one to the smarthub.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15929534245...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 00:38:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
this is the results of going direct to the ONT to laptop, funnily enough appears worse than the one to the smarthub.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15929534245...

The speed that you get would depends on the specs of the PC / Laptop you connected to the ONT.
Its having issues even doing the full 110Mbits up.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 08:45:41
Print Post

Yes paul i am not convinced the laptop is giving me the most accurate account tbh, weirdly when i try fast.com it is showing speeds upto 900 but i cannot get that anywhere else so will take with pinch of salt.

I am due the call today so will await her doing another test as she tested and said it was 500 to the smart hub, will ask why i got version 1 and not SH2 aswell.

Something is a miss as this is not performing aswell as it should that is one thing i know without having to do tests.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 09:20:17
Print Post

The trick is not to rely on 1 speedtester only. On my multiple 330/50 lines, I've never seen more than 150 Mbps on the TBB tester. However nearly every Ookla server gives me around 310 Mbps on both single & multi thread tests. Real life downloads max at about 40 MB/s. Ditto on fast.com. So absolutely nothing to lose sleep over.

The fact that you're seeing 900 Mbps on fast.com (Netflix speedtester) may mean there's nothing wrong.

What do the various Ookla (speedtest.net) servers give you? I would manually choose the Vodafone test server in London and Xilo's server in Maidenhead as they seem to be fairly accurate. Also try the AAISP tester as well
http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 24-Jun-20 09:26:58)

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 10:39:45
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

yeah i agree with your comments, im very much a novice in this field but one thing i have noticed is speed testing in general has many variables and results are wide spread.

last night i must have spent a good few hours on different sites using various browsers and like i say fast was sometimes giving me 900 speeds, then 300!

Ookla was the most up and down i seen some servers capping at 100mbps and i was getting over 800 on a few in london, london servers tended to yield the best results (im in manchester)

I tried the one you have linked to also that was similar giving various results.

So after last nights tests if anything i am even more lost, the fact that i seen 900 on some is probably good news although TBB tester never went over 500.

with BT themselves saying 500 was what was going to my router and the xr500 only detecting 550 i just dont know haha.

i will however discuss with them today why i seem to be the only one that received the old style smart hub but i dont suspect that is the specific fix.

A few teething ussues yet with the 900 service for me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 10:44:20
Print Post

Have seen fast giving people results around 20% higher than is possible on connections

When you say the xr500 is detecting only 550, where it is saying this?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:06:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr saffron the xr500 detects around 550 when i do an internet wizard setup for new connection it searches for the ppoe connection and it shows my speed results.

I also have the netear app and i can remote login to do a speed test and thats another result showing around the 500 speeds.

I am reading the xr500 for some are struggling to get the 1gig speeds but also many others saying they're fine with it so i cannot be sure.

i will have a look on forums see if there is a solution.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to