General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:19:46
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

Disabled QoS and anti buffer bloat settings?

On the speeds if that is the page that says 'your estimated bandwidth speeds' then this is I believe from a short speed test the router runs, the idea being by telling you these figures you can play around with the QoS to ensure gaming traffic is given priority.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:38:21
Print Post

If you’re also getting above 500 Mbps on some ookla servers then it seems BT have correctly provisioned you on the Fibre 900 package despite what they told you over the phone. Very important to remember that on the high speed services (>80/20) Speedtest results will vary much much more than say 40/10 FTTx. The only thing I would suggest is getting a more powerful router such as the Asus RT-AC86U or Netgear’s RAX120 (if you want their latest & greatest Wi-fi 6 router), these are significantly more powerful than the XR500. Having a beefier router CPU which supports hardware acceleration *should* improve things.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:47:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes disabled QOS and bufferbloat as advised by the netgear team.

Someone suggested to manuall put in the 900 speeds as that will fix but not had chance to try that so i'll give it a go when i get home later.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jun-20 12:52:38
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Having a beefier router CPU which supports hardware acceleration *should* improve things.

I was wondering what the max WAN to LAN was on the x500 with PPPoE as that could be causing issues.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:11:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yeah I suspect the XR500 is the cause (or partial cause) of the OP's issues.

I suggest he has a look here, which might help:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/article...

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:20:40
Print Post

BT have done tests direct to their hub, with no equiptment connected.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4649730-re...

His XR500 would obviously be a bottleneck, but he needs to sort his speeds to the hub 1st.

Only BT can do that.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 24-Jun-20 13:23:51)

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:27:30
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

it could well be a bottleneck issue with the xr500 but also from the horses mouth the speed direct to the hub is an issue as she said it was around 500 on the phone.

awaiting the call back today so fingers crossed i get someone willing to play ball as the customer service is so hit and miss, i always find myself going into creep mode when speaking with them and being super polite it cringes me out but i feel i have to do so in order not to enrage the beast haha
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:36:09
Print Post

The way I see it, if BT only see up to 500Mbits to the SmartHub 1, then its either the following:
  • The Smarthub 1 cannot handle that speed which I think it won't.
  • Your Netgear Router also has issues with higher than 500Mbits.
  • BT have you set on a wrong profile (maybe) not sure, but they should see this if looking into the issue.
  • There is an external issue like the fibre joint is done badly.

There are probably other issues that might cause the issue on your connection that other people my know about.

So I would first ask for a Smarthub 2 to be sent to you (will take 1 to 3 days to arrive depending what time you requested for one, so phone in the morning at 8am to 9am if you can), please note that the Smarthub 2 is BT property so when you leave you will have to send it back to them, plus you "might" have to pay £9.99 postage for it.

The good news is none of your internal wiring is causing this.

Also with FTTP you should be syncing up at your speed (possibly 900Mbit to 1Gbit) and BT should see this sync speed, so I would ask them what speed is their system saying the Smarthub 1 is syncing at (not its download speed) if they say 500 then its one of the above issues that THEY need to resolve.

If you still get no joy from the phone call today, kindly ask to speak to their manager due to your issue with your connection hasn't been resolved and its been going on for X time and that you will be making a complaint after that call.

If you get put through to their manager, just explain what the issue is and say you shouldn't be getting 500Mbits on a 900Mbit package over FTTP unless there is issues with their network and that you should be connecting / syncing at +900Mbits, also once again kindly tell them that you will making a complaint if this issue is not resolved by the time that they have said.

The issue is probably something silly like the routers used (Smarthub 1 and Netgear XR500) having issues with speeds above 500Mbits hence the router resting resulting in a different IP a lot.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:48:25
Print Post

I think fast.com is a rubbish speed tester, it said I was getting between 1.2Gbit to 1.65Gbit when I was on 300Mbits.

TBH I do 2 Multi-Threaded tests on the Ookla (speedtest.net) and 1 to 2 of each IPv4 and IPv6 TBB Speedtests and compare all the test.
You can normally see speeds around the same results.

The results to the AAISP tester are ok:
#1 Download: 985Mbps, Upload: 121Mbps.
#2 Download: 895Mbps, Upload: 123Mbps.
#3 Download: 954Mbps, Upload: 125Mbps.
#4 Download: 926Mbps, Upload: 122Mbps.

So not sure which one is correct there, but I would pick a speed between all the results.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:55:51
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:

BT have done tests direct to their hub, with no equiptment connected.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4649730-re...

His XR500 would obviously be a bottleneck, but he needs to sort his speeds to the hub 1st.

Only BT can do that.

Agreed, they are also seeing the same speed issues on the Smarthub 1 which I think cannot handle above 500Mbits as well, so they might need BT to send them out a Smarthub 2 for them to use.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to