General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 14:07:46
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
it could well be a bottleneck issue with the xr500 but also from the horses mouth the speed direct to the hub is an issue as she said it was around 500 on the phone.

Well I am also thinking this with that router along with the SMarthub 1 that you got sent, which I think you should of got given a Smarthub 2 for the 900 Package.

awaiting the call back today so fingers crossed i get someone willing to play ball as the customer service is so hit and miss, i always find myself going into creep mode when speaking with them and being super polite it cringes me out but i feel i have to do so in order not to enrage the beast haha

Yeah, it is hit and miss, I have been lucky 96% of the time and for the 4% I just wait a day and then phone again and hope to get a different person.

I am always polite, but I stand my grounds, also I sit down before the phone call and think what they could say so that I have an answer to the reason that they come up with.

But I might just be lucky or the account information has loads of notes referring that I don't give up and can and will contact my local MP and also pester the CEO and Chairman's Office until my issue has been resolved.

I know there is some info like that on our account, due to their tone in their voice changes after they have read some the info on the account.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 14:40:04
Print Post

The Smart Hubs have a small speed test service in them, so most likely that is what BT is referring to

So if the old Smart Hub 1 that was never used on the 500/900 services has been tested to route 900 Mbps with PPPoE then it is likely it is a bottleneck issue

OR

The service is misconfigured.

In short until you get a setup that is similar to others it is hard to judge, but from looking at the speed tests you've posted from the tbb tester if the issue was a hard cap i.e. configured to 500 rather than 900 would have expected the speed to be nailed to 500. Your tests seem variable suggesting congestion or throughput issues on one or more device.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 14:50:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Spoken with BT again today i explained i have the smart hub 1 adn not the SH2 and they agreed to send the newer one out which i will receive tomorrow.

Whilst on the phone he did a test and confirmed 504mbps to the SH1, he did reiterate that although the newer router may increase the speeds that i should not expect 910 download as advertised.

I didn't lay into him i think we will cross that bridge when we get to it after doing a test on the SH2.

thanks for all your help guys you have been great, i will keep you posted with results with the SH2.

In the meantime i am going to look into why the xr500 is capping at 550, seen a few ppl with this issue.

testing leads me to believe that all along it may have been a router issue and if i can fix those then i should be seeing the higher more reliable speeds in future.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 15:15:34
Print Post

Spoken with BT again today i explained i have the smart hub 1 adn not the SH2 and they agreed to send the newer one out which i will receive tomorrow.

Nice, did you have to pay the postage, I was lucky and got mine for free.
I hope the speeds are a lot better.

Whilst on the phone he did a test and confirmed 504mbps to the SH1, he did reiterate that although the newer router may increase the speeds that i should not expect 910 download as advertised.

TBH, I think what he said was nonsense, if you are on a 900Mbit package then it should be syncing up at 900Mbit to 1Gbit to the ONT / Router, now the actual down and up speeds would depend on the router used.

If its syncing up at 504Mbits then BT have either stuck you on the 500Mbit Package by mistake or they have an issue within their infrastructure whether it be in the fibre joint outside your home, or an issue in the link to the exchange or in BT network itself.

TBH I still think that you have been put on a 500Mbit Profile hence the 504Mbits, but we will see when you get the Smarthub 2 all setup and done a few speed tests on speedtest.net and the TBB tests, you might be lucky and it was just that.

I didn't lay into him i think we will cross that bridge when we get to it after doing a test on the SH2.

Hopefully it will resolve all your speed issues.

thanks for all your help guys you have been great, i will keep you posted with results with the SH2.

In the meantime i am going to look into why the xr500 is capping at 550, seen a few ppl with this issue.

testing leads me to believe that all along it may have been a router issue and if i can fix those then i should be seeing the higher more reliable speeds in future.

Yeah, hopefully it was a router issue, but yeah there are not that many routers out there with a nice price tag on them that works on this higher speeds.

Paul

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 15:19:47
Print Post

He probably meant don't expect 910 Mbps 24/7/365, which makes sense because its a contended service. BT guarantee a minimum speed of around 450 Mbps at busy times on the Fibre 900 service but of course you should be hitting the maximum at off-peak times, eg 3am.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 15:50:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Its GPON so no syncing, ONT connects at 2.488 Gbps downstream and 1.244 Gbps upstream

The PPPoE session does not sync either, there are caps in place depending on the product paid for and hopefully this gets configured right at either end of the connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 16:50:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its GPON so no syncing, ONT connects at 2.488 Gbps downstream and 1.244 Gbps upstream

The PPPoE session does not sync either, there are caps in place depending on the product paid for and hopefully this gets configured right at either end of the connection.

Yeah I wasn't too sure what exactly happens each end, I know the OP should be seeing more than what he is getting, maybe when they get their new Smarthub 2 router and does some tests they will see the correct speeds.

Paul

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jun-20 17:11:14
Print Post

A really really stupid question but worth asking!

Have you been using the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

Edited by Taras (Wed 24-Jun-20 18:26:03)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 17:28:08
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
A really really stupid question but worth asking!

Have you been the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

That is a good question, it never even occurred to me to think about the WAN cable, I have always made my own cables, so I know they "should" work.

Paul

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 19:01:01
Print Post

Ookla was the most up and down i seen some servers capping at 100mbps and i was getting over 800 on a few in london, london servers tended to yield the best results (im in manchester)

the fact that i seen 900 on some is probably good news although TBB tester never went over 500.

Were you consistently getting 800+ Mbps on some Ookla servers with a PC connected directly to the ONT? If so, then this suggests the BT router and possibly the XR500 is your bottleneck. Re: slow TBB results, this is probably down to the links between TBB servers and the BT server you're connected to. This also happens on my BT line as I've never seen the TBB tester give anything more than 150 Mbps on my 330/50 FTTP line, despite getting 310 Mbps on most Ookla servers. Ditto for some Virgin customers as well.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 24-Jun-20 19:04:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to