General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:43:47
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Taras:
or a very very bad nic! .. That said, the nic could be fine itself, but plonked on the chipset and doesn't have the bandwidth.

Exactly, I've not seen many recently, but for years I used to have to pull a NIC and replace to solve problems (3Com 3c509 was always good for us). Desktop PC obvs !

We had loads of those 3Com cards when we started off on 10Mbits with the coaxial cable with the BNC and the T-Pieces with the 50ohms terminator.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:49:24
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Pcie has helped with the bandwidth side. Plus most desktops are using either realtek or more expensive ones intel based nics.

I normally check what controller / device they use due to some of the Realtek and the odd Intel ones have driver issues on Linux.

Not saying the device is at fault, just the driver has issues.

Paul

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:56:55
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Pcie has helped with the bandwidth side. Plus most desktops are using either realtek or more expensive ones intel based nics.

I normally check what controller / device they use due to some of the Realtek and the odd Intel ones have driver issues on Linux.

Not saying the device is at fault, just the driver has issues.

Paul

On windows at least intel, do regular updates, realtek less so

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-20 21:04:26
Print Post

Anyone else waiting impatiently for Seedorf's results tonight.. tongue

BTBroadband
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 21:27:04
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:

more impatient on the chemci result 😁
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 22:00:57
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

On windows at least intel, do regular updates, realtek less so

Agreed, never had any issues with Lan Controllers on Windows, just on Linux.

So when I am building up Linux Servers I check the onboard controllers before getting the board or system.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 22:03:33
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:

I am just wondering what is causing the issue, can be a few things that would cause it.

Would be nice if it was just a router issue, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Fri 26-Jun-20 10:52:28
Print Post

Ok the results are in i feel like Davina Mccall announcing the big brother winner haha

Received the new SH2 last night set it up with the new cables etc, to add the wan cable is slightly different than the one with the SH1 for the record.

did a full recycle to the ONT and then switched the SH2 on, now the pc i borrowed from work was not at hand so unfortunately could only try iphone 11 pro wifi tests so accuracy was the problem.

was getting over 600 download on some servers but here in lies the problem, the same issue i had with the SH1 was my upload was capping at 50mbps [censored]!!!!

rang them up pretty much immediately as i wanted them to do a test and give me an accurate download speed which she did and confirmed i am getting 812 download to the SH2 and as i said 50 upload.

was told to ring back in the morning, so i did half hour ago, after they did some tests and resets whilst i was on the phone they have got my upload to 102 she said, i asked about the download and she said it was 802 so much closer to the full 900 so it does appear the XR500 and the SH1 are in fact an issue all along.

Looked at the router admin stats and no firmware update is prevalent on the SH2 so im hoping after leaving for few days my speeds creep up to over 900, just a thought.

So thats the latest guys...

Oh and netgear have told me to fill out a ticket as there instructions on a fix havent changed things so might be a faulty XR500.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:37:28
Print Post

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

That is mostly good news, the 812 result could be contention. I'd try at midnight plus.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:40:56
Print Post

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

Glad to hear the new BT router has fixed things smile

In the meantime ask your mate to carry out tests on his XR500 (as he also has Fibre 900), if he's getting better results then you have a duff XR500. If not then you need to go back to the BT kit or buy a more powerful third party router such as the Netgear RAX120.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to