General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User petrospetros
(newbie) Sat 27-Jun-20 19:34:27
Print Post

FTTC availability in Portreath, Cornwall

[link to this post]

Hi folks

I'm moving into a property in Portreath in Cornwall shortly, and when I look for broadband offers, it says FTTC is available but there is no capacity. PlusNet told me this originally, but it's been confirmed by BT and also by TalkTalk who's website gives the best explanation of the lot - with "Fibre is available for your home, but high demand in your area means we can't bring it to you right now. It's worth checking back every now and then as demand can change."

The BT wholesale checker on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com says there is a "waiting list". I can see in other forum posts that forum members have been able to provide information about how long the wait might be...so in the hope someone can do the same, or some tips on how I might be able to move things along...it says

Address x KINGSLEY TERRACE PORTREATH, REDRUTH TR16 4LX on Exchange PORTREATH is served by Cabinet 2

My current provider (PlusNet) are offering me the option of a 4Mbps connection or a £100 connection fee. Would people on here with more experience than me think this slow connection is worth taking? Can they charge me a cancellation fee if I'm moving to a premises where they can't provide me a similar product that I signed up for?

Thanks

Pete
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-20 19:51:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC availability in Portreath, Cornwall

[re: petrospetros] [link to this post]

Not always up to date, but Codelook says: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1...

"Cabinet P2 | FTTC being Built, live due by November 2020 | Phase VDSL Sidepod"

So it looks like you're getting G.Fast. You're probably not close enough to benefit from it, but if some of the other users move from VDSL to G.Fast, it will free up some capacity. I would expect they'd also expand VDSL capacity anyway.

If Plusnet will give you ADSL now but do you an in-contract upgrade to VDSL when a port becomes available, that might be the best option.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Jun-20 20:14:16
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Wouldn't that just mean what it is a VDSL Sidepod and not a g.fast sidepod?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-20 20:16:19
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
Wouldn't that just mean what it is a VDSL Sidepod and not a g.fast sidepod?

Err yes, sorry my brain misread it. VDSL sidepod expansion to provide extra capacity, and not due until November.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Sat 27-Jun-20 21:01:13
Print Post

I was in a similar position, new house, no FTTC capacity, wait list. I was already with Zen and planned on staying so took the 2.5 Mb ADSL and they said they'd put me on the list. A couple of months later I had FTTC! No extra charges for the change.

I did learn not all ISPs use the wait list so double check. Zen have always been good FWIW.
Standard User petrospetros
(newbie) Sat 27-Jun-20 22:10:57
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Ah, thanks folks, that was a very fast response! That site looks useful, and it's good to know something is likely to improve one way or another by the end of the year. Probably worth me sticking with PlusNet and seeing if I can talk to them about this wait list, and/or just keep enquiring every now and again to see if any slots have freed up.

Edited by petrospetros (Sat 27-Jun-20 22:11:48)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-20 22:21:12
Print Post

Keep checking. I would expect ports to become available sooner rather later .
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 28-Jun-20 00:05:06
Print Post

smile
I note you only joined these forums this weekend, though it's possible you have been a browser for a while.

In case you weren't, witchunt is well-known as a person whose comments are to be taken very seriously smile.

But whether you will get anywhere with Plusnet re getting on the waiting list I have my doubts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 28-Jun-20 00:05:44)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jun-20 00:40:00
Print Post

Plusnet will not make use of the waiters list.

The process is very clumsy, inefficient and causes more grief than it fixes.

Keep checking daily and watch for the checker changing to available.
Ports on the cabinet become free all the time as people move house and switch to mobile broadband and such like.
Get a quick online order in when it changes to available.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 10-Jul-20 08:13:34
Print Post

You should be able to place an order now.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to