General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 11:40:38
Print Post

Would a new line improve my speed?

[link to this post]

I'm coming up for end of contract in the next 2 months with EE FTTC. I was looking into switching for the new provider deals and noticed Vodapone will install a new line to my address. Is there any chance this will improve my speeds? I'm supposed to up to 35mbps but only see 20mbps sync now (I got 30 back when FTTC was first deployed 7 years ago). I'm not fussed losing the land line number so wondered if taking the new line then cancelling the old service in a months' time would help? I'm not expecting miracles but getting closer to 30mbps would really help with 2 of us working from home + 2 kids.

I'm guessing its a bit of gamble as they would try and reuse any old lines they can find.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jul-20 11:58:22
Print Post

Re: Would a new line improve my speed?

[re: cheesemp] [link to this post]

A new supplier is unlikely to make any significant difference as it is the underlying length/quality of your line that defines the sync speed rather than the supplier.

A new line may make a difference but Openreach would normally just use a spare pair in the current line which will probably have the same characteristics as the existing pair.

There is a remote possibility you could be lucky but likelihood is you will get similar or even possibly worse.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jul-20 12:38:04
Print Post

Cross talk from other fttc users over time on your cab will have reduced that speed. Also have you done a master socket test, to see if its actually internal to your home network ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 12:44:39
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

The master socket was replaced with one of the newer dual socket ones by an openreach engineer when we moved in and ordered FTTC (The cabinet was activated in the area one week after we moved in). There are no extensions. I've always been nervous of unplugging the router too often and causing me to be banded any lower but I guess I can try it if you think the faceplate could have failed in 7 years?
Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 12:46:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks - that was kind of my assumption but thought i'd check. It's annoying to be told you can get 35mbps when you can barely make 60% of that.
Standard User _SimonLH_
(learned) Wed 01-Jul-20 13:02:37
Print Post

You might want to have a look this thread

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/4623369...
Probably around £150 to do
Was thinking of having this done myself, New cable, shorter length to Master Socket and hopefully improve speeds. Looking at neighbours on same side as me can get faster, only via postcode checker. I’ve got G Fast and upload speed has deteriorated a bit only about 23-24mb was around 31-34mb mark.

Edited by _SimonLH_ (Wed 01-Jul-20 17:19:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Jul-20 13:15:45
Print Post

You are sure that 35 Meg is not the point of sale average for the 40/10 product but the specific estimate for your line. Mentioning this as the 'up to' term went away a couple of years ago.

Line estimates are usually a range of speeds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 14:10:37
Print Post

[re: _SimonLH_] [link to this post]

Sorry Simon the link hasn't worked. As I mentioned in a previous reply I have a newish master socket that is a very short distance to my router. I had the socket moved when the new one was put in.
Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 14:18:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

The range is 20 to 35 based on this.

BT are only quoting a minimum of 14mbps for switching but vodaphone are promising 20mbps on the new line so at least I know I'm getting no worse if I take the new line.

Phil

Here is my speedtest results: Here

Edited by cheesemp (Wed 01-Jul-20 14:21:26)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jul-20 14:22:03
Print Post

https://www.tandyonline.com/electronics/telecoms-dsl... are very good dsl shortern cable from openreach master socket to your dsl router

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to