General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 12:35:48
Print Post

New FTTP install questions

[link to this post]

I've just ordered BT Full Fibre 100 and it's due to be installed in about a month.

A bit of searching has managed to answer most questions I have but could anyone help confirm or answer the following.

1. The install is listed as a 1 stage install and we're connected via a pole which loks to have the black fibre modules at the top of it. I presume this means they'll put a new fibre cable across from the pole. Do they follow the existing cable and connect to the same point on the house or can they use a different point?

2. Is the existing cable removed?

3. Am I correct in thinking that they don't install a CSP on the outside of the house and the cable just goes straight through the wall?

4. The current cable runs behind the skirting board to the master socket, if I remove the skirting board again in advance will the engineers be happy to run the fibre in the same way?

If the answer to 1 is yes they'll add a new point and they'll run it behind skirting then I can make it dead easy for the engineer to install.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jul-20 13:31:14
Print Post

Re: New FTTP install questions

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

Yes, a new fibre from the pole ....

Usually, the existing copper span is replaced with a hybrid (fibre/copper) cable. But if you are desperate for it to be attached elsewhere on your property, ask. This might mean they won’t recover the existing copper span.

No, these days an ‘inside out’ install process is used. Your fibre will terminate in an external CSP, and fibre with a pre fitted SC connector will be run from the ONT to the CSP and spliced through.

As long as your proposed fibre route is do-able, and won’t make it liable for damage, then this *should* be OK. Discuss with the installer on the day. Most prefer to take the cable straight out from just beneath the ONT ... running external rather than internal is easier.

Standard User APTMAN
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 13:49:19
Print Post

The ONT will need a 240 volt socket near by, maybe a twin socket for ONT and your Router.

The master socket will not be used, you could get rid of your land line phone and use VOIP. (look in the VOIP section of the forum).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 13:56:21
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
you could get rid of your land line phone and use VOIP. (look in the VOIP section of the forum).

A voice service is already included with BT FTTP - whether you use it or not.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User StuB
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 14:29:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the answers guys, most helpful.

Where the line currently enters the house the nearest power socket is about 15ft away on the other side of the room around various bay window corners.

Moving it would mean that it could come through the wall and have a straight 2m run behind skirting and pop out right by a socket and also by the ethernet cables connecting it to the rest of the house.

They could go around the side of the house externally to directly behind this socket point however at some point in the near future we may look at external wall insulation so presumably either we need to get BT out to move it or it'll get buried underneath it.

The BT engineers I've had in the past have always been very accommodating but with the current covid problem I assumed they'd want me around as little as possible hence trying to sort it in advance for them.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 14:29:42
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Can you just plug a normal phone into the ONT or do they need to be a special VOIP phone?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jul-20 14:29:48
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
you could get rid of your land line phone and use VOIP. (look in the VOIP section of the forum).

A voice service is already included with BT FTTP - whether you use it or not.

..... but strangely, someone turned up to install a copper line at a property having FTTP installed ... why not just enable it over the fibre. ?!?!

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jul-20 14:30:07
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

The master socket will not be used, you could get rid of your land line phone and use VOIP. (look in the VOIP section of the forum).

This is not true at all, you cease your phone package your will loose your broadband, BT's FTTP still requires you to have a phone package, I checked a little while back due to I don't want to be forced to use the SH2 due to the phone package requiring it and BT told me if I cease / drop the phone package the broadband will also cease.

Also it depends on how the OP has their phones setup, they might be using the phone on an extension, if so it will need for the Master Socket to be connected up.

The Master Socket will either be either connected to the copper line like it is now, or if teh OP chooses BT's Digital Phone Package it might get connected to the SH2.

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jul-20 14:31:43
Print Post

The older ONT’s had a PSTN jack on them, for an FVA service ... thus has now been discontinued.

Mostly it’s out of the back of the CP router these days

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jul-20 14:37:48
Print Post

They *should* come through the wall in a purpose made tube affair, with a neat cap either end .... if so, then wall insulation at a later date won’t be an issue.

From what you’ve described, ONT near the power socket, straight out through the wall there, then round the outside, round the outside* to the CSP would be my guess. This will minimise time in the property for the installer.

* random Malcolm McLaren reference

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to