General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-20 23:00:13
Print Post

Advice on BT FTTP 900 not reaching 940/120

[link to this post]

Hey there,

So this is purely out of curiosity more than a complaint, I'm aware the speed difference isn't massive however pretty much my issue is that with using a CAT5E cable, direct connected to the ONT I am only ever able to hit 920/97mbps speeds. Most of the time my upload is more like 93mbps however my download is always solid 920.

Can anyone think of why I may not be getting the 940/120 some others are getting? My setup was done a bit ghetto and has some bends in the fibre but I don't think it'd be bad enough to cause this, I have put images below however.

I am the first fibre installation for this entire area, and it's a brand new installl as of recent.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9733799239.png

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vp6mdhS6UWCtdosv6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9tS97Gd2NTLWcYiJ9

Edited by max1486 (Thu 09-Jul-20 23:06:21)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jul-20 23:44:48
Print Post

Re: Advice on BT FTTP 900 not reaching 940/120

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

Much repeated from my reply in the other thread.

You can't get 120Mb up, it's only provisioned at 115Mb before any overheads.

Bends in the fibre can't cause a limit to 910Mb. It will work or it won't.

You're getting 2.4Gb to the ONT from your fibre, it's just rate limited to 1000Mb.
The fibre can definitely handle 940Mb.

Some are only getting 910Mb.

BT Wholesale might be using different settings on different kit or in different areas.
If you're consistently getting 920Mb max then that's how your line has been setup somewhere.
For others it's only 910Mb.

I doubt you'll ever speak to anyone who can tell you why the differences between users but as it's sold as a 900Mb package there will be very little point in raising it with BT.
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 00:02:05
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yeah, I agree, no point complaining but more wanted to squeeze out more on the upload if anyone had any tips but think I'll just be stuck with this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jul-20 08:53:03
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I totally agree, we have never got to or above 940Mb (down) and 120Mb (up) which is totally fine due to we wasn't expecting it would, but we have got close to 120Mb, on average we get around 117Mb (up), and 920Mb to 935Mb (down).

I was told on the phone when ordering that we would get 910Mb (down) and 110Mb (up) not even a mention of "up to speeds" and we are getting at least that so all is fine.

A fluctuation in the speeds would still be fine here due to we are paying the same price that we were paying for Full Fibre 250, so we are very happy.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jul-20 10:15:03
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The speeds they quote will be based on the SamKnows testing they do, i.e. a median average - this might be testing inside the router itself rather than a standalone box these days.

Any Gigabit provider selling at 940 Mbps is probably doing its maths wrong, due to all the TCP/IP overheads involved, i.e. a speed test of 940 Mbps is the perfect result, so to get this as a median (50% getting this) is very hard.

For the original poster it may be things like RWIN, MTU, PC performance are an issue, or the average from the ookla result is not showing some ups and downs, seeing the graphs from a test at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest might give some clues for people to comment on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chipmunk77
(learned) Fri 10-Jul-20 10:45:46
Print Post

Might be down to your ethernet chip/drivers? Doesn't take much of an overhead at these speeds to knock off 20mbit.

I get "only" 895 on speedtests - given I was on 15mbit not so long ago, it'll do smile

Edited by Chipmunk77 (Fri 10-Jul-20 10:47:34)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jul-20 10:56:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I totally agree, on my White Box Monthly Report Card for last month it says an Avg of 928.4Mbps (down) and shows a constant 119Mbps (up) which is about right.

I can also see some dips now and then too.

TBH I was shocked we even got these speeds, I was expecting to get about 910:110 that was quoted to me over the phone, so to have slightly above that is nice.

Paul

Standard User nicknack101uk
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 14:30:06
Print Post

Hi,

Mine's been fitted about 3 weeks now and I get a solid 880mbps down and 110mbps up.

BT FTTP
TP-Link Archer C9
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 11-Jul-20 00:23:31
Print Post

What router are you using? What specification of computer with what network chipsets and what OS are you using. Squeezing every last drop of performance out the network is a black art. Getting two PC's directly connected together over some Cat5e (aka no switch involved) to max out a 1Gbps link is difficult enough, random junk and some none ethernet in the middle is even worse. When you move to 10Gbps its next to impossible, the max I have ever been able to get a work is 8.6Gbps out of a 10Gbps link. Oddly enough 40Gbps links do better, but that might be down to The £1000 Mellanox cards in them.

I would add most stuff out there in the internet cannot keep up with a 1Gbps link, and at work I have had one of those for the last 15 years. Dell are the absolute worst in my experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Jul-20 10:21:40
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Not nice, its want the Ofcom rules require

if the samknows was reporting 828 and 90 averages for the collective group monitoring then BT would have to drop speeds in adverts

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to