General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User knightgkla
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 09:32:00
Print Post

BT installing FTTP to town

[link to this post]

As an oldie trying to keep up with ever changing broadband, can someone explain to me, as a consumer, what BT bringing FTTC to my town means. Does it mean exchange, near my property or to my house?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-20 09:46:10
Print Post

Re: BT installing FTTP to town

[re: knightgkla] [link to this post]

Do you mean FTTP or FTTC ?

There is a marked difference in the infrastructure used to deliver these two different services.

Standard User knightgkla
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 10:12:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

My town is on the new list for FTTP in the next few years. I'm already on FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikel543
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 10:29:28
Print Post

FTTC is Fibre to the green Street cabinet. The connection from the cabinet to your house is provided over a pair of copper wires. The copper part of the connection can be affected by electrical noise and signal reduction due to the distance between your house and the green cabinet which can affect the speed and stability of your connection, particularly at longer distances.

FTTP the fibre is run into your house so the connection is not impacted by electrical noise or distance from the cabinet. This means that you can get a faster more stable connection at higher speeds than FTTC. The max speed of an FTP connection is always the same irrespective of distance from the cabinet.
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Thu 30-Jul-20 10:43:47
Print Post

When complete (which could be a year or more), you should have a CBT with a port with your (house) name on it, either in a nearby access chamber or up a nearby pole. The status checker will then say that FTTP is available, and if you order a FTTP service, an Openreach engineer will turn up with an Optical Network Terminal and a bunch of fibre and figure out a way to get from the CBT to your house. It may be overhead or through existing ducts, or they might need to dig.

Note that the aim is to cover 100% of the area but for technical or legal reasons (access or wayleave, usually) some addresses may not be connected.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jul-20 11:06:26
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

Where did Openreach state "aim is to cover 100% of the area"

I would caution against sweeping statements like that, even in Salisbury which they say is all done, figures show only at 92% FTTP coverage, and actually have gone through everyone of the missing areas this week.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Thu 30-Jul-20 11:27:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Where did Openreach state "aim is to cover 100% of the area"

I was trying to be cautious, saying area and not town. I guess that at the start of the process Openreach will have an area they intend to cover, which probably won’t correspond exactly with the boundaries of the named town, and was just saying that it doesn’t mean that every address even in the area will get service.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Thu 30-Jul-20 11:44:40
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

As part of the R100 Lot3 my exchange is already FTTC, FTTP will only be installed to those properties outside of the FTTC area where due to distance the speed drops below a certain threshold, So a lot depends on if its BT that are financing it or another body.
Standard User Thinker27
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 17:32:29
Print Post

So you are asking about bringing FTTP to your town? Where did you see that this is happening and what exactly did it say? And what town is it and what new list have you seen?

New infrastructure is installed by Openreach if it is being done by 'BT', and many economic factors determine if and when they will do it. But when it happens the system is that a cable containing optical fibres is run out from an exchange where there is a connection to the internet (not necessarily your local telephone exchange), some of the fibres are split into more fibres using a prism device, and the fibres end in an underground chamber or up a pole near the premises in the town.

The ISPs then start offering FTTP contracts and if you take one up, the fibre will be extended into your home.
Standard User knightgkla
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 17:53:58
Print Post

[re: Thinker27] [link to this post]

It's Belper and was on thinkbroadband news.
  Print Thread

Jump to