General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Tue 04-Aug-20 18:29:30
Print Post

FTTH ONU WAN Settings- VLAN

[link to this post]

Hi,
This is my only 2nd post and I am still in the learning mode. (Learning by myself via online posts and forums like this.)

I am currently using ADSL connection and have gone through various settings of ADSL modem+router numerous times. I did not find any VLAN entry in my routers (DLINK/ASUS)
Now we are getting FTTH connection. Before getting it I was looking for some setting videos available on youtube where almost all the ONU had some VLAN settings needed to be done. Like VLAN ID /VLAN Type etc.

And another setting found on the ONU was Port Binding.

So my question is why this VLAN is used in FTTH and was not used in my ADSL? Why that Port Binding was not present in my ADSL router?

I know this question is not related directly to any problem/error, but I wish to learn the technology/theory behind these settings.

Thank you.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Aug-20 20:58:38
Print Post

Re: FTTH ONU WAN Settings- VLAN

[re: inwell] [link to this post]

Which countries DSL are you speaking about, your terminology sounds 'unusual' ?

Standard User APTMAN
(member) Tue 04-Aug-20 21:40:16
Print Post

re... 'So my question is why this VLAN is used in FTTH and was not used in my ADSL? Why that Port Binding was not present in my ADSL router?'

ADSL is one user over copper wires from the exchange.

FTTH/P is Fibre with many users using one fibre and all have a V/LAN for there own connection but they all share the fibre.

The V/LAN ends at the ONT and is not configurable by the consumer.

On my HG612 Modem used for ADSL2 connection, I do have port binding.

Edited by APTMAN (Tue 04-Aug-20 21:42:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Aug-20 22:43:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by inwell:
I am currently using ADSL connection and have gone through various settings of ADSL modem+router numerous times. I did not find any VLAN entry in my routers (DLINK/ASUS)
Now we are getting FTTH connection. Before getting it I was looking for some setting videos available on youtube where almost all the ONU had some VLAN settings needed to be done. Like VLAN ID /VLAN Type etc.

VLAN is Virtual LAN and allows a network operator to create separate networks using shared wiring. Some internet providers, and some network operators use this to manage traffic.

And another setting found on the ONU was Port Binding.

In the UK we tend to call them ONT's, and the UK versions have no end user access to anything. Port Binding is often used in a similar function to Port Forwarding, how to get traffic from a remote internet device to a server within your internal network (e.g. at home).

So my question is why this VLAN is used in FTTH and was not used in my ADSL? Why that Port Binding was not present in my ADSL router?

Those are questions you should ask your network operator, and will be how they are managing the traffic.

People may be able to advise more if they know which country, as network operators (e.g. in the UK we have multiple operators) do things in different ways.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 05-Aug-20 10:37:43
Print Post

You probably won't be managing your ONU so no worries from that point of view.

Answering your basic question on ADSL you have a link all of your own back to the central office while on FTTH you share one, and you probably control your own modem while on FTTH the ONU will be under the control of the operator.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
  Print Thread

Jump to