General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-20 14:20:49
Print Post

Cannot find a suitable contact on OpenReach website?

[link to this post]

Hi all, long time lurker looking for some information about contacting OpenReach.
Our area has just had a lot of work done with FTTP pods on the telegraph poles and it is now showing as available to order. Great, except that in half of the area, the phone lines are all ducted underground.
Now, I would like to know from OpenReach what the plans are for these ducted properties, i.e. mine and lots of neighbouring properties.
It's a fairly densely populated area, so I would have thought it's financially viable to complete all the properties in the area, and not leave 50% in the lurch.
So, is there anyway to contact OpenReach and see what the plans are? It's very frustrating to know my quite elderly Mum can get up to 900mb Fibre, but 5 minutes walk away I am only getting 60mb ...
Thanks in advance.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Sat 08-Aug-20 14:42:56
Print Post

Re: Cannot find a suitable contact on OpenReach website?

[re: Adduxi] [link to this post]

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband-availabili...
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Aug-20 17:29:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adduxi:
Our area has just had a lot of work done with FTTP pods on the telegraph poles and it is now showing as available to order. Great, except that in half of the area, the phone lines are all ducted underground.
Are you saying you can't get fttp? If you can the CBT is likely to be in a footway box not on a telephone pole.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 08-Aug-20 17:31:03
Print Post

Are you saying that those properties with ducted connections are *not* showing as available to order?
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sat 08-Aug-20 21:26:57
Print Post

depends on where it is depends on what plan its is and and what upgrade it was funded under
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Aug-20 22:43:54
Print Post

what does https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband produce; fttc or fttp coming soon ?
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Sun 09-Aug-20 12:06:04
Print Post

Sorry if I've confused anyone. I can and do get FTTC, but the FTTP availability checker shows no FTTP for anyone with underground phone lines. Also the TBB map also shows FTTP following the telegraph poles and blank where all the houses are supplied underground. I've registered my interest but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks to all who have responded.
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 21-Aug-20 11:45:02
Print Post

Just to update this old thread.
I've been speaking to an Openreach engineer who was in the area, and it seems the houses that are not supplied via telegraph poles have armoured cable installations, so no ducting. This was common practice at the time apparently.
So he didn't hold out any hope for FTTP in the immediate future.
To say I am disappointed is an understatement ....
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Aug-20 17:19:49
Print Post

it seems the houses that are not supplied via telegraph poles have armoured cable
Others have reported being missed due to armoured so you're not alone.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Aug-20 18:19:16
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
it seems the houses that are not supplied via telegraph poles have armoured cable
Others have reported being missed due to armoured so you're not alone.

From what I'm seeing in Fibre First area's (of which I'm in) they are doing all overheads first, then making it available to order for underground (ducted) and then 'apparently' they will be finishing up with underground cables.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger (Reducing Jitter Soon)

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to