General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User moosekebab
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-20 14:50:39
Print Post

FTTP Build - Missed Pole

[link to this post]

So Lightsource on behalf of OpenReach have been installing FTTP to the poles in my area and last week they finally came down my road, however they skipped over the pole connecting my house and moved onto the next!
The next day I asked the guy working on the next pole whether they just missed mine by accident, and apparently they skipped it because it's a 'D' Pole and they aren't allowed to touch them - he didn't give me any more info than that - no schedule for if or when it will be replaced.

Now this wouldn't be too bad but yesterday I walked past a different pole further down my street (installed before mine part) and that has FTTP equipment on it and a big red D nailed to it too which contradicts him somewhat.

Has anyone had this happen to them - is there a timeline for replacing the poles marked with the dreaded 'D' ? If they do replace it will they retrofit the FTTP equipment to it ?

I checked the plate nailed to my pole and it as 6/20 stamped out and the letters A,B,F,G stamped out too - I'm guessing that means what's wrong with it ? Perhaps the other D pole with FTTP has different letters, I'll have to check.
Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 11-Aug-20 14:57:41
Print Post

Re: FTTP Build - Missed Pole

[re: moosekebab] [link to this post]

in my neck of the woods the cbt,s were not put on every pole , presumably because properties can be fed from poles not immediately close to the house
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Aug-20 14:58:36
Print Post

How far to the next pole to your D pole ? The overhead kits come in 33, 55, 105, 160 and 360m flavours .... could it not be fed from the next CBT down , then spanned off of your D pole ?

Overhead fixings are allowed to replaced like for like, that would be replacing one with another.

The D on yours could be due to, for instance, a close by spiked fence, whereas the other D pole might be due to low wires .... not really a lot to be said without actually seeing the poles in their environment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 11-Aug-20 15:32:12
Print Post

Depends on why it's a D pole or if it's just a carrier pole.
Standard User moosekebab
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-20 15:35:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The previous pole down is about 60-70m away so in theory they could wire me up from there, it's weird though because about 3 years ago they put a little manhole at the bottom of the pole and there is blue pull-through string tied around the bottom so it looks like they intended to do it but the 'D' ness stopped them.

So in theory when the street goes live I should be able to put an order in and OR will sort it out then or does the checker know that my current DP is plain copper and stop me ordering?

Just worried that we're going to end up an island of 10 houses on 30mb in a sea of FTTP :'(
Standard User moosekebab
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-20 15:38:26
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

There's no obvious reason (to me anyway) why it would be a D pole - there's no fence next to it and there's a fairly even distribution of 10 wires on it; 5 going across the road and 5 on this side. Perhaps it's too shallow or the manhole they installed a few years ago destabilized it ?
Standard User flilot
(regular) Tue 11-Aug-20 16:57:12
Print Post

I wouldn't worry about it, my FTTP fibre feed comes from a different pole than the one the landline is attached to. As long as the next nearest pole is within the distance of the fibre cables used by the underlying network of the ISP you sign up with, you'll be fine.

Carl
(member) Tue 11-Aug-20 20:00:32
Print Post

There could be many reasons for a D pole, damage that may not be visible, decay of the wood that a resistive app has picked up (again may not be visible to the eye), D because the pole is shallow. Some D poles can be cabled through but no equipment (joints or CBTs).

Like others have said the CBT doesn’t need to be outside your property it can be upto around 150m away (includes the lead into the property).

I wouldn’t worry.
Standard User moosekebab
(newbie) Sun 23-Aug-20 09:52:04
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

So they were out and about this week connecting things up and I had a look at the checker this morning.

Houses connected to the pole 1 down from mine = WBC FTTP
Houses connected to the pole 1 up from mine = WBC FTTP
Houses connected to my pole = FTTP On Demand (1000/220). This has gone up from FTTPoD 330/30 last time I checked.

So it would seem that even if it was the intention that they could wire me from the pole 1 down I can't order it so they will never do that :'(

Any ideas what to do now ?
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Aug-20 10:22:25
Print Post

Unless I'm wrong, but normally FTTPoD stays 300/30 even if its capable of 1000/220.. To me it sounds like a database error,

What cbts(as in connector count) are on the adjacent poles, and how many properties? ie, adjacent pole 12 port cbt, and only 6 properties and the other side another 12 port cbt but 8 properties, thus both poles would then be able to serve yours.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to