General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 12-Aug-20 14:42:53
Print Post

Build out in Fibre First area

[link to this post]

I'm in a Fibre First exchange area and there are signs of FTTP getting close. The TB map is a great resource and shows some streets tantalising close now have a few houses with service. There were a lot of entries on the road works website so I can see how the fibre has come down the main road.

But now things appear to have slowed down. There haven't been any more houses get service further up the partly connected streets. There are still a few road woks going on here and there, unblocking ducts and building new frames.

Is this lull 'normal'? I wonder why, once you start a street you wouldn't carry on.

A bit like having the builders in. They get off to a great start, go for materials and aren't seen for a month...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Aug-20 15:08:46
Print Post

Re: Build out in Fibre First area

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Have seen lulls and then a big block appears, so not unusual. Some areas though seem to be more bit by bit.

Example of reason for a lull, headend cabinet full, so new one built but waiting on final commissioning checks.
Another example, all the local roads are done, but waiting for one chamber to be opened in middle of.a junction to link it all back to the spine/exchange

Also standard work planning, if an area hits a delay, rather than cause delays for other areas they will move to the other areas on schedule and hopefully if other areas complete ahead of schedule will come back and fix what has not been done.

Also no guarantee of them doing ALL of any Fibre First exchanges.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Wed 12-Aug-20 16:11:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Is this lull 'normal'? I wonder why, once you start a street you wouldn't carry on.

A bit like having the builders in. They get off to a great start, go for materials and aren't seen for a month...

I am example number 1 in this case. Started work 22nd March 2017 and still not finished.

I am lucky enough to be kept updated via emails and phone calls as to exactly what is happening with all the problems.

Openreach contact who has been there for me since day 1 rang me yesterday to say they were already £40k over budget on our build as of now.

Still waiting patiently.. crazy

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 12-Aug-20 16:20:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Yes, I always have that fear at the back of my mind. But looking at the FF exchanges now complete in Edinburgh they seem to have covered everywhere. I can find one street in Murryfield not connected but otherwise it looks like blanket coverage.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Aug-20 08:31:17
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Busterboy as your chums with OR, could you find out what is the hold with on our fttp completed ? crazy

Seriously though , its good that you are getting updated info
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Aug-20 08:43:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:

Yes, I always have that fear at the back of my mind. But looking at the FF exchanges now complete in Edinburgh they seem to have covered everywhere. I can find one street in Murryfield not connected but otherwise it looks like blanket coverage.

With fttp, its a case of waiting till you can actually order it, until then there is no guarantee - even then things might go wrong.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Aug-20 09:23:07
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

As their work started in 2017 it will not be part of fibre first, and might be a FoD or community scheme which should mean more info available on the specifics as a much smaller area than Fibre First exchange.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Aug-20 09:50:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As their work started in 2017 it will not be part of fibre first, and might be a FoD or community scheme which should mean more info available on the specifics as a much smaller area than Fibre First exchange.

Yeah FoD or the CF schemes will have more publicly available information as the end customer is the client who's commissioning the infrastructures. BDUK based ones are (like mine is) have the same amount of information as fibre first
  Print Thread

Jump to