General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-20 09:49:36
Print Post

Here come CityFibre

[link to this post]

Now that Openreach have started connecting up for FTTP in my Fibre First exchange, what do you know, CityFIbre are about to dig up the roads.

Interestingly, according to the road works site I use (the one for Scotland) they are "Installing fibre to support mobile network- excavate to install duct and chambers where required". But judging by the number of entries and locations this is for FTTP, not mobile. Unless we're getting 5G to every lampost.

I don't know who CityFibre's retailer is/are so I can't track them on the TB broadband map. Some tell me!

Also, I guess they're going to make a mess by digging up the pavements. Do any of these new kids on the block ever use Openreach's ducts?
Standard User AyeUp
(learned) Fri 14-Aug-20 10:15:33
Print Post

Re: Here come CityFibre

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

It could be that they are laying dark fibre. Cityfibre can make use of OR ducts under PIA, however in some ways it can be cheaper to dig and run their own ducting. Cityfibre aren't a new kid on the block, they've been around a number of years now and have FTTP in many locations and continuously expanding.

The retail side of it is Vodafone with Gigafast currently, and some point in the future TalkTalk.

Regards

JM
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 14-Aug-20 11:00:05
Print Post

What city is it?

"Install duct and chambers" sounds like a backbone network. Typically what Cityfibre do is to start with an anchor tenant, such as the council, and do a deal to connect up a few hundred sites. Later on, they could use this as the core of an FTTP network.

CityFibre do use PIA in some places, e.g. they may use existing poles rather than digging up the pavements.

CityFibre's residential retailer is Vodafone. They have different resellers for B2B in different areas.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-20 11:17:32
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

It's Glasgow. A year or so ago they did run (what I would call or assume is) a backbone connecting all Glasgow City's schools and offices. I kind of assumed they'd eventually build out from that. You could see clearly where they were running that cable as the trenches progressed around my neck of the woods.

But these road work entries are in multiple local streets and look like the build out I expected. Just oddly referred to as mobile infrastructure.

Now you mention Vodafone I can see where they've built in Stirling. They recently announced they'd 'done' that city, maybe they're moving on. In Stirling there's no Openreach FTTP unlike Glasgow where they seem to be building out where OR just lit up and Virgin have a big presence.

I can't add a direct link but go to https://www.roadworksscotland.org , search for "CROOKSTON DRIVE, GLASGOW" as an example an filter the date to the end of the year. You should find lots of 'green' entries. Also around the "LADYKIRK DRIVE, GLASGOW" area. The latter area has just gone live for FTTP in the last month.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-20 11:22:49
Print Post

CityFibre announced Glasgow in March - https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityfibre-reveals-36-...

Following on from their install of metro network there.

The roadworks notices will be placeholders for future planned works to be followed up with more detailed descriptions I imagine.

CityFibre can and do use Openreach duct and poles alongside using their own ducts and, indeed, their own poles on occasion.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User flilot
(regular) Fri 14-Aug-20 16:47:55
Print Post

[re: AyeUp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AyeUp:
The retail side of it is Vodafone with Gigafast currently, and some point in the future TalkTalk.

Giganet are now also providing residential broadband over the CityFibre network.
https://home.giga.net.uk/

Carl

Jump to