General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drn
(newbie) Fri 04-Sep-20 22:14:44
Print Post

Gigaclear and other providers

[link to this post]

Hello

Our road has a Gigaclear notice stating that they intend to install equipment soon. I’ve read a few reviews of Gigaclesr that don’t look too favourable. If they install their hardware, would this prevent Openreach from also providing a future service here? Or could they make use of the Gigaclear fibre? If not, should we refuse permission for Gigaclear to proceed with the install?

Thanks
Standard User Retr0
(newbie) Fri 04-Sep-20 22:22:33
Print Post

Re: Gigaclear and other providers

[re: drn] [link to this post]

Despite the reviews overall Gigaclear does seem to be a pretty good provider and also they won't prevent other providers from installing their own FTTP Broadband but of course they cannot use Gigaclear's fibre unless if they are apart of the Gigaclear 'Open Network' thing which allows that the ISPs that sign up to use it to use Gigaclear's network to give users FTTP broadband.

You know when something isn't known to work well but it actually works for you quite well? It's a common occurrence for me. Just need to reach for that fibre cable.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Sep-20 22:23:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by drn:
If they install their hardware, would this prevent Openreach from also providing a future service here?
No, they are two different network infrastructures so having one in your street doesn't prevent the other being installed in your street.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jpm
(regular) Sat 05-Sep-20 01:25:03
Print Post

As others have said, it doesn’t prevent Openreach installing in future. I am not sure how you were intending to go about refusing permission.
Standard User drn
(newbie) Sat 05-Sep-20 08:13:58
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. I’ll discuss with the neighbours, as it’s a private road that the Gigaclear notice has been posted in.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Sep-20 14:29:22
Print Post

[re: Retr0] [link to this post]

I have had a Gigaclear connection for the past 5 years. It has been fine and very much better than the alternative ADSL 1.5Mbs.

Gigaclear installed a pot on a corner of my property exactly where I requested. I ran a cable from there to the router. The cable has plugs on both ends. Gigaclear provided the cable and the router. Mine was an unusual DIY install.

As it happens Openreach told me at the end of last year, that they would also provide an FTTP service but so far there is no sign of any local activity in the area covered by Gigaclear.

There is no obvious benefit in not having the pot and it would likely improve the ease with which a property could be sold.

Michael Chare
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 05-Sep-20 15:21:38
Print Post

People only usually moan when things go wrong.
Why would you think about trying to block a company trying to bring you into the 21st century and lay a gigabit capable network?

Edited by Rolandrat (Sat 05-Sep-20 15:32:19)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 05-Sep-20 16:38:01
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
People only usually moan when things go wrong.
Why would you think about trying to block a company trying to bring you into the 21st century and lay a gigabit capable network?

+1

BTBroadband
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sat 05-Sep-20 17:15:16
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

i think most most unlikley that openreach would deploy in a private road with another Altnet operator present - there would be no point
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-20 00:32:16
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
i think most most unlikley that openreach would deploy in a private road with another Altnet operator present - there would be no point

I don't think whether or not it is a private road would be an issue for Openreach. There are already plenty of overhead and underground telephone lines. I was surprised when they told me that they would connect my house, as the post code is in an area covered by Gigaclear. A connection via Openreach would likely cost more than I pay Gigaclear or would be much slower.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to