General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 14-Sep-20 08:36:52
Print Post

Moving from FTTC to FTTP

[link to this post]

Good Morning,

I have what maybe a simple question. Here's a quick bit of background.

My Sister/Brother in Law have really poor FTTC speeds (checker say's 22 Mbps, reality 16Mbps) but I have recently found out for them that they can now get FTTP.

The are currently with Sky for their FTTC, so was wondering if they move to FTTP (which I don't think Sky offer), how does the move work? A: Does the new provider tell Sky they are taking over a service (as the services is different) or B: Does the account holder have to inform Sky they are taking a new internet service from a new provider and the FTTC/PSTN service is cancelled?

If it is B, would leaving it till the FTTP connection is live be a good idea before cancelling the FTTC?

Thanks in advance.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 55 Mbps

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 14-Sep-20 09:21:42
Print Post

Re: Moving from FTTC to FTTP

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CJT:
The are currently with Sky for their FTTC, so was wondering if they move to FTTP (which I don't think Sky offer), how does the move work?

Actually, Sky have recently started selling FTTP. Just put their address in the checker. It's currently offering me 80/20 for £25 or 150/30 for £35.

I would expect that if they phone up Sky, they should be able to arrange the transfer, assuming that Sky have an FTTC to FTTP migration process.

If they want to take FTTP from a different provider, then basically they are taking a new service from scratch, independent from the FTTC, which needs to be cancelled separately. The only thing which will cause the FTTC to be cancelled is if they transfer their phone number over to the new provider. When the new provider activates the phone number, it will automatically cease the PSTN line, which in turn ceases the broadband service attached to it.

This means you can do it using either of the two options that you described. If you want to run the two services in parallel for a while, which protects you against loss of service if the new provider messes up the FTTP install, then get the new service installed with a new phone number allocated.

Or, you can take a data-only FTTP service, and then later migrate the phone number to a VOIP provider, if you want to keep the landline service and number. The phone number then becomes completely independent of the broadband service, although you'll have to provide your own VOIP hardware (e.g. ATA or SIP DECT base station)

Also note that:

1. BT retail don't offer a data-only FTTP service. If you take FTTP from BT, then you must get a phone number, even if you don't use it.

2. If the ISP supplies voice over FTTP, this is *always* done via a PSTN port on the ISP-supplied router. No new services are being provisioned on the FVA (fibre voice) port on the ONT.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Sep-20 09:51:10
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
2. If the ISP supplies voice over FTTP, this is *always* done via a PSTN port on the ISP-supplied router. No new services are being provisioned on the FVA (fibre voice) port on the ONT.

Which means if you want to use your own router, don't order from BT retail, or a voice line from another ISP.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Sep-20 09:53:28
Print Post

A: Does the new provider tell Sky they are taking over a service (as the services is different)

If you order a phone service with FTTP e.g. Sky, BT and most others then A applies. The phone number is moved to the new provider, and likely the phone line will remain on the existing copper, but may move to be delivered over the fibre and break out from the ISP router. The copper version is more likely for homes with existing copper. Existing provider gets told by gaining provider in this scenario.

or B: Does the account holder have to inform Sky they are taking a new internet service from a new provider and the FTTC/PSTN service is cancelled?

If you order a data only FTTP service e.g. something Zen Internet sell then nothing happens to the existing phone and broadband services. So you can keep them running until happy the FTTP is up and running. Then option to cancel both phone and broadband, or just the broadband and keep a phone with whoever you like. No contact with existing provider in this scenario.

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 14-Sep-20 09:54:11)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 15-Sep-20 08:01:04
Print Post

Good Morning candlerb

Thanks for your reply.

I used the link but it was missing sky at the front, however after finding the link it say's the up to 145 Mbps product is not available in my Sister's area. However I am sure they will call SKY and hopefully find an informative person who can help.

Thanks for the info

CJT.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 15-Sep-20 08:02:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Which means if you want to use your own router, don't order from BT retail, or a voice line from another ISP.

I had thought that. I have no idea if they intend to continue to use their landline moving forward.

I found a few "niche" providers who did Data-Only, as well as the usual offering from BT.

CJT.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 15-Sep-20 08:03:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good Morning Andrew,

Thanks for this info as well.

I will let my Sister/Brother-in-Law know should it come up as an issue.

Thanks again smile

CJT.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Sep-20 08:07:51
Print Post

Sorry about that: copy-paste error on my part and too late to edit it now.

I have FTTPoD so I'm not in any FTTP "area" as such, but the Sky checker offers me the 80M product (at 75M+ speeds, not the ~30M I'd get on FTTC) and the 150M one. Definitely worth calling them up.

I was assuming that you meant that your sister is in an *Openreach* FTTP area. If it's FTTP from someone else (e.g. Cityfibre, Gigaclear) then indeed Sky don't offer it.

In that case though, the conclusion is still similar: if they take FTTP service from another provider it won't affect their Sky FTTC, *unless* they ask that provider to port their PSTN phone number, in which case the porting will cease the landline *and* the broadband on it.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 15-Sep-20 08:32:22
Print Post

Sorry about that: copy-paste error on my part and too late to edit it now.

I have FTTPoD so I'm not in any FTTP "area" as such, but the Sky checker offers me the 80M product (at 75M+ speeds, not the ~30M I'd get on FTTC) and the 150M one. Definitely worth calling them up.

I was assuming that you meant that your sister is in an *Openreach* FTTP area. If it's FTTP from someone else (e.g. Cityfibre, Gigaclear) then indeed Sky don't offer it.

In that case though, the conclusion is still similar: if they take FTTP service from another provider it won't affect their Sky FTTC, *unless* they ask that provider to port their PSTN phone number, in which case the porting will cease the landline *and* the broadband on it.

No worries on the link. I worked it out.

Not sure with what providers they can get for sure, all I know is it appears to be a recent (last 3-6 months) upgrade to FTTP being available. I only checked recently by chance, so I have no idea how long they have been able to get FTTP. But I am almost sure I checked last about 6 ish months ago.

Thanks again for the explanation for the potential migration process. smile

CJT.

Print Thread

Jump to