General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FibreFelix
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-20 09:29:18
Print Post

BT Wholesale downgraded FTTP Available

[link to this post]

Good Morning Everyone

We're two years into our FTTPoD Contract term and for the past two years, whenever I've checked, the BT Wholesale Checker has always said WBC FTTP 1000 available. However, when I checked the other day (to potentially order a secondary gigabit fibre connection due to a more permenant WFH arrangement, we have the 4 port ONT and an existing 300mbps service), the checker has changed to WBC FTTP 330 available only. Can anyone shed any light on if this is correct? AFAIK, we're still one of the only FTTP premises on the exchange and I can't see BT would have changed the network to make it 'worse' since we first ordered?

Thanks in advance!

Felix

Edited by FibreFelix (Fri 25-Sep-20 16:49:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Sep-20 10:06:16
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale downgraded FTTP Available

[re: FibreFelix] [link to this post]

What make of ONT?

If ECI then 300 Mbps was all that was available anyway, but the secondary suggests you have Gigabit already.

One possibility is that you are seeing things limited due to OLT getting new capacity. Or the checker is just doing its usual flip between states which seems to happen with 300 versus 1000 as they battle it out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 25-Sep-20 10:20:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't think the 4 port ONTs were ever made by ECI? If the OP has the 4 port Huawei HG8240 then it won't be an ECI limitation.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Fri 25-Sep-20 10:58:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 25-Sep-20 10:54:05
Print Post

Most likely an error on the Wholesale checker. I assume none of the CPs will let you order anything above 330/50? If so, get in touch with your current provider (Cerberus or Fluidone?) and ask them to query with BTW/OR to double check their records as you plan on ordering a second Gigabit service. You'll probably find the Wholesale checker magically starts showing WBC FTTP 1000/220 again if your CP investigates this. I wouldn't bother asking BT, TT, Zen etc they'll just give you a "computer says no" answer.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User FibreFelix
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-20 16:48:24
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Thank you for your responses everyone! We have the Huawei ONT (only with a 300mbps service now, edited the OP to confirm). I'll have to contact Cerberus and get them to look into it.

Edited by FibreFelix (Fri 25-Sep-20 16:49:55)

Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 26-Sep-20 08:56:26
Print Post

I had exactly this swap on my FTTPonD connection, the wholesale checker switched to 300 for several weeks then switched back by itself.
  Print Thread

Jump to