General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 21:26:16
Print Post

Different BT Exchange for Telephone and FTTP?

[link to this post]

Recently Openreach have been installing Fibre in CH5 3EZ where Hawarden (WNHAW) is the exchange for their telephone numbers. However the nearest exchange listed for Fibre is the Connah's Quay (WNDEE) exchange which is actually located in Shotton - has been since manual switchboard days.

I am obviously hoping that FTTP will come soon to CH5 3HS where I live, but looking at the Openreach map on their website, Hawarden seems to be missed out, except for where I am seeing yellow fibre notices on the DPs. confused

Confused of Hawarden!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 21:52:47
Print Post

Re: Different BT Exchange for Telephone and FTTP?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

The head end (where the fibres from the various splitter nodes terminate) does not have to be fed from the local exchange where dial tone originates.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Oct-20 22:18:10
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

5500 telephone exchanges and around 1200 head end exchanges. So number of exchanges will shrink as copper/wlr switch off takes place

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Oct-20 22:43:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Creating a large number of brownfield building sites smile.

My wife thought it highly amusing that she spent the first part of her working life buying land/adjacent properties for exchange expansion, and the second part selling the same as System X and later technology came along LOL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 22:44:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that info. I had been thinking that the ducting from any area would be going in the direction of the local telephone exchange and thus not so straightforward to go elsewhere.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 06-Oct-20 22:49:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
5500 telephone exchanges and around 1200 head end exchanges. So number of exchanges will shrink as copper/wlr switch off takes place

Do you happen to know if Conisbrough (SLCBR) exchange is a fibre head end? Be nice to hear it’s not as might lead to the ugly building to be flattened in years to come smile.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-20 23:07:05
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Do you happen to know if Conisbrough (SLCBR) exchange is a fibre head end? Be nice to hear it’s not as might lead to the ugly building to be flattened in years to come smile.
If their are any new builds with Openreach fibre only in that exchange area bring them up on the DSL checker and if they say Conisbrough then you know its a head end exchange if it says somewhere different you know its not.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Oct-20 23:33:24
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

The ducting of an area may head towards a local exchange but there will be deeper ducting that is linking that exchange to a head end - this ducting has been there for many years.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 06-Oct-20 23:52:56
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by gary333:
If their are any new builds with Openreach fibre only in that exchange area bring them up on the DSL checker and if they say Conisbrough then you know its a head end exchange if it says somewhere different you know its not.

Hey, cheers, that looks like a good tip smile. Using this I think I can see it isn't a headend.

My ramblings. Safe to ignore...
All the new builds here are still getting connected to cabinets from the looks of it. However, using Andrew's Thinkbroadband map and selecting for native FTTP I can see the only place to have FTTP is an industrial estate in Denaby (which I know from history was connected to cabinet 1 on the Conisbrough exchange). Now when I look at the majority of properties on this industrial estate it shows a number of units with WBC FTTP only - all of them now coming from Mexborough exchange.

This little exercise also goes someway to making it clearer to me why FTTP hasn't come to my area yet. It looks like Mexborough or Doncaster are the likely the closest head ends. However, Doncaster is over 6 miles away via busy roads, and Mexborough is probably unlikely due to the various Rivers and Canals in the way. Don't know why I like to know this stuff, but interesting never the less.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-20 01:15:17
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

If Mexborough is the Head-End exchange for the FTTP only properties on your exchange then that is your Head-End.

Don't worry about rivers, OpenReach have already have a route in place. You're overthinking it.

You have FTTC.
Your FTTC DSLAM already runs back to Mexborough.
It runs to the Head-End exchange, not your local copper exchange.
There's also historic links between exchanges.

Your FTTC cabinet is served by an Aggregation Node. This usually serves 3 or 4 FTTC cabinets and is usually next to 1 of these cabinets or somewhere in-between.
Your FTTP from OpenReach will come from this Aggregation Node, it's already in place.
Your FTTP rollout is that far already. It's the final bit that needs planned and rolled out.
Rivers aren't an issue.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to