General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Oct-20 14:42:04
Print Post

Re: G.fast upgrade today.

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Definitely not.
The vast majority of the 4k HDR i watch on Netflix and Amazon could easily fit 2 concurrent streams on a 40/10 service with room to spare.

80/20 can run 4 or 5 4k HDR streams most of the time.
At least 3 streams no problem at all.
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 15-Oct-20 14:42:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
What about UHD 4K streaming online for two TV's at the same time, might need faster than 80/20?
No, it won't. I've streamed 3 at the same time with no buffering on an 80/20 line (that usually returns around 70Mbps on a speed test). Usual 4K stream is ~15Mbps, sometimes up to ~20.

The only time I've ever come close to 40Mbps was the BBC Wimbledon live 4K trial on iPlayer, and they admitted later that was because they hadn't got all the bugs out of the live compression algorithms.

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 15-Oct-20 15:01:04)

Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Oct-20 14:56:31
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

What about Xbox Series X as my daughter going to buy it soon. Will it gained big Mbps on this gaming UHD 4K Xbox Series X?

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Oct-20 14:58:32
Print Post

The main difference may be in file sizes for downloading games. With higher speeds it would come down faster but other than that I doubt you would see any benefit out of anything above about 20Mbps.
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Oct-20 15:01:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

4K at up to 120 FPS on xbox series X that does worry me with FTTC 80/20 as it affect my speed if I want to watch Netflix UHD 4k with my daughter using xbox series X with 4K at up to 120 FPS?

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 15-Oct-20 15:44:03
Print Post

It has nothing to do with speed. Seriously....... Once the game is downloaded the console does the hard work. The Xbox Live system uses a maximum of 5meg when gaming.
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 16:09:54
Print Post

4K at up to 120 FPS on xbox series X that does worry me with FTTC 80/20...

Some confusion there. Your Xbox would still generate 4K at 120fps if you unplugged the ethernet cable altogether. smile

Those frames are generated locally. That's why it's got the fancy GPU.

A multiplayer game (vs single player) uses some bandwidth, but only enough to exchange player position data and the like... usually small, and display resolution has no bearing.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Oct-20 11:24:06
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Indeed - the console does not need high speeds, if it did then a large proportion of their customers would not be able to do 4K. Game downloading is faster with higher speeds but game play requires pretty low bandwidth. The only time this is different is if the game itself is hosted on an Internet server and streamed to the device but this is not how the new Xbox will deliver.
Standard User bkehoe
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-20 18:00:41
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
In reply to a post by bkehoe:
In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Mate,

you are obsessed with line stats and figures, every line will be different, only way to know the real speed is to have it enabled.

He's had it installed before!

He hasn't.

He's made a number of G.Fast orders but cancelled it every time, never once getting as far as the line going live to see how high it syncs.

If i recall correctly the last order he tried to place was refused by the ISP because of his previous time wasting.

I'm genuinely puzzled. He has lots of posts on kitz at the start of the year of his line stats with his g.fast service with 'Green ISP', etc, etc. He managed to get out of the contract with them to save money.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Oct-20 18:19:31
Print Post

[re: bkehoe] [link to this post]

I'm genuinely puzzled. He has lots of posts on kitz at the start of the year of his line stats with his g.fast service with 'Green ISP', etc, etc. He managed to get out of the contract with them to save money.

The truth of the matter is that Max tells fibs.

At one point this forum was awash with posts about his FTTPoD order with Cerberus ... they eventually created an account just to make it clear he was fibbing.

Sad, but true.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to