General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikegg
(learned) Sat 17-Oct-20 14:15:50
Print Post

EO line - ordering a second line

[link to this post]

What are the chances that if you are on an EO line then if you order a 2nd line that you might get put on to a Cabinet (ie non EO line) for the second line ?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 14:23:37
Print Post

Re: EO line - ordering a second line

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

Slim to none.

Standard User mikegg
(learned) Sun 18-Oct-20 10:10:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Can I therefore ask if anyone has any direct experience of this working with even a 3rd new line ?
Also what is the process when you order a new line and how do they decide where it is provided from ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Oct-20 10:32:04
Print Post

I've seen this happen. I mentioned it in another thread a couple days ago.

Weaver on the kitz forum has his 4th ADSL line come from a cabinet instead of being EO only like this other 3 lines.
The cabinet is miles away though so no help for FTTC.

The process is you order a 2nd line. You likely already have a 2nd line in the feed that serves for property. It would come from there.

It there was no spare pair or if your ordered a 3rd line they go to the next step in the branch looking for a free pair. That's usually the Distribution Point outside your home.

There are tools OpenReach can use to identify where the nearest spare pair is.
The chances are for anyone on an EO line that any spare pair would also be EO. The new pair is likely to be from the same EO bundle.

Ordering new lines in the random hope it won't be an exchange only line is a very expensive gamble.
Even if you luck out it might not be from the cabinet you want it from.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 18-Oct-20 10:34:41)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Oct-20 10:43:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikegg:
What are the chances that if you are on an EO line then if you order a 2nd line that you might get put on to a Cabinet (ie non EO line) for the second line ?
You have said you have an EO line but you haven't said if there are any cabinets anywhere near you or what exchange you're on and how far you are from that exchange.

I know some locations where you could order 50 lines and none of them would be via a cabinet as there ain't any cabinets nearby, sadly there is no certain answer to this question as every location is different.

Edit: When I say 'cabinets nearby' I actually mean that could be used to provide service.

Edited by dect (Sun 18-Oct-20 10:54:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:22:02
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

To add the phone USO only requires them to install a single line to a property, so if the costs are high for Openreach they can refuse or ask you to pay full costs for 2nd, 3rd lines

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikegg
(learned) Sun 18-Oct-20 12:28:01
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
You have said you have an EO line but you haven't said if there are any cabinets anywhere near you or what exchange you're on and how far you are from that exchange.

I know some locations where you could order 50 lines and none of them would be via a cabinet as there ain't any cabinets nearby, sadly there is no certain answer to this question as every location is different.

Edit: When I say 'cabinets nearby' I actually mean that could be used to provide service.

Thanks for the information. Its a family member in North London. The exchange is Canonbury which is 950m away. The problem is that they are in a development of approx 20 houses (all on EO) surrounded by FTTC on all sides. The nearest cabinet is about 200m away.

Looked at CFP but expensive and no grants or vouchers.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Oct-20 12:57:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikegg:
Thanks for the information. Its a family member in North London. The exchange is Canonbury which is 950m away. The problem is that they are in a development of approx 20 houses (all on EO) surrounded by FTTC on all sides. The nearest cabinet is about 200m away.

Looked at CFP but expensive and no grants or vouchers.
Sadly there is a lot of EO on Canonbury exchange, the chances of your family member getting an additional line through a cabinet is near zero, specially as the EO supply to that development is likely to be at least a 50 (maybe 100) pair cable so there should be enough capacity should any property order a second or third line.

Edited by dect (Sun 18-Oct-20 12:59:30)

Standard User mikegg
(learned) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:25:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
Sadly there is a lot of EO on Canonbury exchange, the chances of your family member getting an additional line through a cabinet is near zero, specially as the EO supply to that development is likely to be at least a 50 (maybe 100) pair cable so there should be enough capacity should any property order a second or third line.

Thanks for the feedback - appreciated

Edited by mikegg (Sun 18-Oct-20 18:25:27)

Standard User jpm
(member) Sun 18-Oct-20 14:00:19
Print Post

There's a fair amount of G.Network build happening around Islington, might be worth making enquiries with them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to