General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 21-Oct-20 01:06:55
Print Post

Bonded FTTC lines

[link to this post]

Does anyone on these forums have 2 or more FTTC lines bonded together to provide faster speeds?

I'm in the search for faster than 80/20 due to my wife doing a lot of working from home with data heavy video calls and presentation sharing, and my daughter constantly watching streaming services when at home, leaves little available for my gaming and stuff.

My current ISP offers a bonded product, which we are discussing pricing for etc at the moment, but just curious if anyone can give some real world experience on the setup.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User flilot
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 16:13:49
Print Post

Re: Bonded FTTC lines

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Do you really need to bond the second line to the first? If you're getting a second line anyway, why not just keep it separate, one 80/20 for you on a separate network with separate router, the previous line for your wife and daughter. Probably be cheaper and easier, rather than having the faff of setting up the bonding at ISP, and home level with new equipment. Just a thought, I have no idea of the costings of both scenarios.

Carl
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 16:31:32
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

As above, it sounds like you are using multiple sessions, so there's no need for bonding. Add a second line from a different ISP to give a little bit of resilience, and then just load balance on a router or use policy routing to send different services over different links.

Edited by jpm (Wed 21-Oct-20 16:33:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 21-Oct-20 18:33:34
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
As above, it sounds like you are using multiple sessions, so there's no need for bonding. Add a second line from a different ISP to give a little bit of resilience, and then just load balance on a router or use policy routing to send different services over different links.

Well that's way above what I have knowledge of doing.

The ISP I have at the moment would preconfigure the kit 2 x Vigor 130 and a Draytek load balancing box to use the 2 lines as 1 and I just plug my existing router in to and have download speeds of 130 to 140Mbps and upload of 30-35Mbps.

I'm looking for faster speeds than the maximum FTTC can provide and with no sight of a FTTP or other alternative, I'm having to go down the bonded FTTC route.

I moved 2 years ago from a Virgin Media 350 connection to BT copper rubbish in all honesty, and I don't like waiting 3 hours for games to update etc.

Edited by Bryer (Wed 21-Oct-20 18:35:40)

Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Wed 21-Oct-20 20:05:32
Print Post

AAISP can do it but it can cause out of order packets which causes problems for some stuff (I've found games mostly)

If you wanted a roll you own solution then there's openmptcprouter, you will need to host the server end somewhere though, I found because it proxies some traffic and not others you do get some oddities if you try and pass IPv6 over it and I had latency spikes.

At the moment I'm using SpeedFusion but that doesn't do IPv6 and the hardware for the client end isn't cheap, it also needs somewhere with enough bandwidth to do the bonding.
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Thu 22-Oct-20 10:14:05
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
Do you really need to bond the second line to the first? If you're getting a second line anyway, why not just keep it separate, one 80/20 for you on a separate network with separate router, the previous line for your wife and daughter. Probably be cheaper and easier, rather than having the faff of setting up the bonding at ISP, and home level with new equipment. Just a thought, I have no idea of the costings of both scenarios.

A good question and well worth asking I think.

Bonding is the standard answer to the "I need more bandwidth than one line can provide" but you will still be sharing the bonded connection and that might not the best solution.

By having two separate lines and networks you can give your wife a dedicated connection while you and the rest of the family use another.

With two lines, two routers and two WiFi networks your wife can use one and the rest of the family the other. Although you'll probably want your wife's system to have a wired ethernet link.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Oct-20 13:20:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bryer:
The ISP I have at the moment would preconfigure the kit 2 x Vigor 130 and a Draytek load balancing box to use the 2 lines as 1 and I just plug my existing router in to and have download speeds of 130 to 140Mbps and upload of 30-35Mbps.

What ISP is this?
That sounds more like load balancing than bonding.

You can do load balancing on your own with 2 separate lines from 2 different ISP's.

There are 3 common balancing/bonding options and many confuse them with each other.

1. IP bonding, requires the ISP to terminate both lines together at their end.

2. VDSL bonding, is done between the DSLAM and your modem.
OpenReach don't offer this at all.
Pretty common in some European countries.

3. Load balancing. Done entirely at the end users end.

I know of Draytek routers that do 2 and 3, but not aware of any that do IP bonding.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 22-Oct-20 13:20:21)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 22-Oct-20 14:40:21
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the input, think I'll just go with two seperate lines with the gaming setup hardwired with ethernet.
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(regular) Thu 22-Oct-20 16:52:49
Print Post

I run two connections because I desire speed but I also require reliability.

I have a Three 4G connection giving ~100-120mb down and around 30mb up. Slow ping.
I have a Plusnet connection of 35mb down and 10mb up.

Both connections are put into a Unifi Edge Router and load balanced before hitting my network.

Using rules I have set up that my dedicated IP phone ONLY uses plusnet if it is available and has the highest score for traffic so anything else on the network can't the phones bandwidth.

I have other rules in place during the day that dedicates the plusnet connection to my work laptop during the day. Once the evening kicks in or it's the weekend the network gets shared amongst all devices.

During the night I can max out the connections with ~150mb download speeds on speed test and 35-40mb upload.

I personally wouldn't bond lines as it is a single point of failure and you might find that the kids will steal the bandwidth from the work calls.

Balanced = ~145. DOWN / 50.0 UP
PlusNet = 33.5 DOWN / 10.0 UP
Three = 120.0 DOWN / 40.0 UP
Standard User g3vzv
(newbie) Thu 22-Oct-20 19:03:09
Print Post

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

I use speedify which runs on a pc to bond more than one FTTC line..it seems to do what it says on the tin.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to