General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 13:23:22
Print Post

CFP intial estimate received

[link to this post]

Hi all

Just had the intial response back from Openreach for the CFP I setup to try and get FTTP to my area.

Partnering with SYSF we focused on 2 streets where I live rather than the whole village as it would be too bigfor me to take on. ( DN9 3PH / DN9 3PQ )

There were 50 houses in total for the 2 streets and I managed to get 30 out of them signed up to it all of which are eligable for the Rural Vouchers, which would come to 45k.

However the Openreach quote has just come back after 3 weeks and is showing just over 200k in total for a total of 60 premises ( they have added a few in that are passed I presume ).

Given the shortfall there will be ( circa 155k ) its not looking too hopeful !

I am just trying to get a breakdown of the cost and why its so high, from what I can tell its down to the fibre spine length but am trying to get more details.

I have looked at some of the new builds in this area that have gone straight onto FTTP and can see from the BT Wholesale checker that their exchange is showing as Hatfield Woodhouse ( rather than our local one Finningley ) so I am wondering if this is where its having to go back to, hence to cost ?

Am I wrong in thinking that while BT would have been putting in fibre for the new builds in this area that are going straight onto it they would have put in capacity for all the remaining houses on FTTC for future upgrades or doesnt it work like that ?

T69
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Oct-20 13:42:15
Print Post

Re: CFP intial estimate received

[re: tikka69] [link to this post]

An FTTP feed to you would probably come from the aggregation point that feeds your FTTC cabinet.

It may however come from one nearer to you that feeds one of the FTTP new builds nearby.

Is your current line via telegraph poles or underground?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Oct-20 13:49:17
Print Post

Hatfield Woodhouse is the handover exchange.

no way of knowing how much spine is in ground to the area, and even if it was there it is not fully paid for by the first user of it, but cost spread out. So even if for the new build they put in a big enough fibre bundle, the new build will have 'paid' its share of the costs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Swac3
(learned) Wed 21-Oct-20 13:51:26
Print Post

Its likely you are wrong as you say, the fact they ran fibre to the newbuilds likely doesnt bring a connection closer to you at all.

I understand this is cost related obviously, but it does make a mockery of statements from Openreach that use phrases like bringing fibre closer to you and expanding into rural areas, Well yes they are literally but it doesnt change or improve the connection situation for anyone else.
Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 13:56:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

My FTTC Cab is Cab3 around 800 m away.

The nearest FTTP I am aware of are near the airport ( some new build and some that appear to have been done alongside it as its all in one area ).

My current feed is DIG for some of its journey back so I suspect there will be a big bill for that too as all the houses are the same.
Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 14:00:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the explanation. I have checked a few other new build houses and they all show Hatfield Woodhouse as the exchange ( well its actually in Dunscroft but was called that for some reason ! )

I am hoping to get a bit more detail from the Rural Engagement manager and see whether expanding the footprint would bring the cost per property down or not.

Given this cost is after the BT contribution it must have been a fair figure !!

Thanks
Standard User slimj
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 14:11:59
Print Post

Watching with interest as I have opened up a CFP project for my area of 10 addresses - Agg node estimated to be 1km - 1.5km away (think I know roughly where it may be as cables were being run from there last year for a village near me). We're in rural Kent so can get up to £7k per household in vouchers if we're under 30Mbps, which we are.

Looks like Doncaster has a lot of FTTP already, so I can imagine that your area will be covered sooner rather than later?
Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 21-Oct-20 14:20:27
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi

Yeah there is quite a lot going off in Doncaster, BT FTTP through large areas, Cityfibre going through parts of it and Virgin Media have done both the big villages either side of us ( Rossington / Armthorpe ).

The FTTP through Cantley / Branton came right up the river then stopped at the edge of the village as that is the boundary for the Exchange ( that is fed from Cantley I presume ).

The rest of Auckley, Blaxton and Finningley are historically under Finningley exchange and they have only done newbuilds onto FTTP at the minute ( and a single street that had no FTTC cabinet ).

Thanks
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Oct-20 16:27:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by tikka69:
My current feed is DIG for some of its journey back so I suspect there will be a big bill for that too as all the houses are the same.
Several members have posted on here that their lines arrive as DIG and have been left off of local commercial FTTP deployments and its been indicated that it may be due to the extra costs.
Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Wed 21-Oct-20 19:32:35
Print Post

I'm in Armthorpe and get my VM installed tomorrow.

I was hoping our village (small town really) would get FTTP as part of SFSY but it appears we aren't being included hence my move to Virgin Media as my FTTC connection has become less and less stable in the 5 years of having it.

I do hope you do get somewhere with your CFP because Openreach don't seem to be too bothered about anywhere outside of Doncaster central.

I'm not convinced that CityFibres network is going to be available to residential areas either (lots of central Doncaster has had access to CityFibres dark fibre for a while. now)

Regards,
Haydn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to