General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Sun 15-Nov-20 21:31:51
Print Post

Requesting alternative location for ONT

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am contemplating upgrading to fibre. My issue is in the vicinity of where BT would install it by default (immediately opposite the entry point into the wall) there is no power. It would also not be practical in terms of connecting to my existing data cabling. I also do not want cabling on show, no matter how "flat" and "flexible" the connectorised fibre cable is.

If I was to install a straight-ish run (no nasty bends) of flexi conduit/ducting buried in the stud wall from the anticipated entry point to the location of where I would like the ONT and also a drawstring, would the Openreach engineer likely be happy to draw their fibre through it and install my ONT where I want it? What diameter ducting should I look to install? I was thinking around 20mm diamater, should this be wide enough to acommodate the connectorised fibre? Something like THIS

Also, my network centre where all my data cabling around the house terminates is in the loft which is where I'd like the ONT. I've read somewhere that Openreach won't let their staff work in lofts, which I can understand, but my loft is boarded out with ladders and lights and you can stand up straight. Would that still preclude them from working in the loft?

I know a lot of this depends on who you get on the day..

Thanks

Edited by ste__ (Sun 15-Nov-20 23:41:08)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Nov-20 22:02:26
Print Post

Re: Requesting alternative location for ONT

[re: ste__] [link to this post]

The web link in your post is truncated and doesn't work, use the <Link> button when you edit your post.
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Sun 15-Nov-20 23:42:01
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks... Changed smile

Edited by ste__ (Sun 15-Nov-20 23:43:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Mon 16-Nov-20 03:39:02
Print Post

There is no “default” location for the ONT. It is usually installed where the customer wants it subject to access, internal cabling limit (still 30m?), time required etc.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Nov-20 05:28:59
Print Post

That all sounds completely ’doable’

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Nov-20 10:17:33
Print Post

Just a thought, as its flexible conduit how will you prevent it from sagging in the wall? my experience of flexi conduit is that its very flexible and hard to keep straight.
Standard User bloodycat
(member) Mon 16-Nov-20 11:43:38
Print Post

The default installation is to strip off all the excess sheath and run the fibre fixed to along the skirting board. However my experience and that of others is that the installers are usually quite accommodating to any reasonable requests for where to route the fibre as long as it doesn't cause them extra work. Around here it is actually an external contractor rather than Openreach themselves that do the installation.

In my case it was run under the floorboards from the cupboard at the top of the stairs to the front of the house and then through the ceiling of the open porch down to the splice box near ground level. It helped that I had appropriately loose floorboards (and no fitted carpet) so I could feed it through the hole single cross joist alongside the cable for my for my upstairs ring-main for the engineer to pull through.the rest of the way. This saved him having to strip off ~10 m of fibre and the fix it to the skirting board as well as being easier than drilling through the external brick wall (early 1900's bricks are much tougher than the modern ones).

If you have conduit with an appropriate draw cord available then they are unlikely to have an issue. The fully sheathed fibre is ~5mm diameter and they will pull the un-terminated end through from the ONT location down to the splice box.

In my case they probably cut off half the length both from the connectorised fibre from the telegraph pole and the ONT which seems quite wasteful but I guess it is cheaper to just stock one standard length of each that will do 99% of installations than to have multiple options with the added risk of picking up one that is too short.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 16-Nov-20 13:58:11
Print Post

Yet another case where an ONT that could be powered using power over Ethernet would make a lot of sense.

Said before I would just run some Cat 6a and get a PoE splitter to 12V with a 2.1mm DC centre pin positive to power the ONT, and then use an injector or PoE capable switch or router to provide the power.
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Tue 17-Nov-20 13:21:07
Print Post

When the openreach guy came to do ours there was a hole in the wall and a drawstring ready for him to use, if you do the leg work beforehand then I cant see them having issue with what you want to do?

The main thing for us was that there was a cable from the post already above the point of entry we had done for the cable to the ONT so it was a simple swap.

Zen Full Fibre 100
Standard User moosekebab
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-20 13:42:53
Print Post

On my recent install i had pre-installed 20mm flexible conduit under the floor, with a drawstring. The openreach guy was perfectly happy using it and just drilling in from the outside under the floor. The cable is drawn from the inside out, the end without the connector on so 20mm duct is fine.

The flexi-duct was very flexi! I had to fix it to each joist under the floor to keep it straight so I think you might have trouble unless you keep it taught by fixing it both ends.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to