General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bozotklown
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 14:49:31
Print Post

Openreach Fibre Connection to MDU

[link to this post]

I live in a self owned unit in an MDU, about 12 years old that has no virgin cable feed, though the MDU next to me does. My postal code is in scope for fttp, and single dwelling houses 50 feet from me on the same street but a different postal code already have fttp available for order since Sept. I have pursued questions with Openreach for 7 months in regard as to when they plan work will be done to facilitate my buildings fttp connection, to basically no avail. I see no more fibre work being done, anywhere on the street I live on or, on the fttc cabinet that presently connects my postal code nor, any indication of future planned work on the work websites. The only answer I get is a frustrating we’ll get back to you…which they don’t, and then finally after weeks of enquiry a canned confirmation of what I already know that I’m in scope for fttp. Does anyone know how Openreach deals with fttp to an MDU, (do I have to pay someone as in fttpd) and further could anyone direct me to someone who can give me a real answer, to a simple planning question in a timely manner? The coy obfuscation is getting very grating, and I need faster access, being at the extreme end of a vdsl connection, that’s in the center of a fiber first city.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 15:10:11
Print Post

Re: Openreach Fibre Connection to MDU

[re: bozotklown] [link to this post]

It may help if you post the post code for your specific building, if the post code covers more than your building then you may want to post the name/address of the building - some forum members are privy to information and may be able to help.

Presumably you own the leasehold of your unit, and the freehold is owned by someone else. Normally in a block of flats Openreach would need to liaise with the building management/freeholder to get permission to install in the building, so it may be worth asking them and seeing if they've been approached. Often though the freeholder/building management don't play ball so OR may well give up.

If the building management are willing to engage, and depending on location it may be worth seeing if an Altnet such as Hyperoptic would be willing to install.

PS. Have you looked at getting a second VDSL line and bonding, or perhaps a 4G or 5G solution?

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 29-Nov-20 15:13:21)

Standard User bozotklown
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 19:57:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thank you for the information. Just to add another wrinkle, Openreach did come to the building and appeared to do a survey last year. If there is anyone who could help me in finding out what is going on vis a vis an MDU and fttp the postal code is EH4 3TP Edinburgh.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 20:27:06
Print Post

As has been suggested already your first port of call should be the freeholders and/or the managing agents for the block. Have they been approached by Openreach and if so have they granted way leave? Without way leave from the buildings owners Openreach are unable to proceed.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 29-Nov-20 22:31:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

i would assume it was looked at and either the wayleave was rejected or never retuened -if will have been left and Openreach woudl have moved on to the next building it could deliver
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-20 11:38:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by bozotklown:
the postal code is EH4 3TP Edinburgh.

That's in Scotland AFAIK and there are no leaseholders. OP may want to ask the factor (if its a factored building) and see what they know.
  Print Thread

Jump to