A single thread about peoples experience or statements from BT or OR will keep it all together.
I am awaiting an FTTP install to replace FTTC and scheduled for Wednesday 13th.
I finally spoke with OR this afternoon and was told that some work had already been cancelled such as "socket shifts". Upgrades may/maynot proceed and similarly new installs would be dependent on the property.
In my case, they were unsure of the status at present - and it will be confirmed on Monday. My offer to do the internals has been taken seriously and escalated however, the order management team could not give a definite yes/no - similarly it will be decided by Monday.
M H C
taurus excreta cerebrum vincit