General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jan-21 12:07:34
Print Post

Re: Handover exchanges

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Lots of #penisnow up your way. It's pretty deep here.
Can you put some hyphens in that hash tag as I am really struggling to work out what it should say wink
Standard User Whitehall11
(learned) Mon 11-Jan-21 14:24:32
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

I'd like to propose a slight anomely to what to the Handover logic - We have a Holiday home property in Winster, Derbyshire (Rural Peak District), which contains a small rural exchange (small building with one boiler pipe above it). Winster from what i can tell has FTTC and serves FTTP to some properties in the surrounding area (following the ducts).

Have Openreach installed Fibre OLT's in some of these smaller / tiny exchanges then? The exchange doesn't seem to offer any form of LLU such as Talktalk or Sky.

The nearest big exchange to Winster is Darley Dale which is a LLU + Fibre Enabled exchange, but i can't see that the Fibre Connections in Winster bypass the rural exchange and go all the way to Darley Dale, if LLU services are not offered?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Jan-21 14:40:22
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
I'd like to propose a slight anomely to what to the Handover logic - We have a Holiday home property in Winster, Derbyshire (Rural Peak District), which contains a small rural exchange (small building with one boiler pipe above it). Winster from what i can tell has FTTC and serves FTTP to some properties in the surrounding area (following the ducts).

Have Openreach installed Fibre OLT's in some of these smaller / tiny exchanges then? The exchange doesn't seem to offer any form of LLU such as Talktalk or Sky.

The nearest big exchange to Winster is Darley Dale which is a LLU + Fibre Enabled exchange, but i can't see that the Fibre Connections in Winster bypass the rural exchange and go all the way to Darley Dale, if LLU services are not offered?
Winster exchange only has 4 PCP/DSLAMs so I will be amazed if the fibres serving those DSLAMS or any fttp terminates in that exchange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 11-Jan-21 15:07:43
Print Post

The headend for Winster and Darley Dale is in Matlock exchange.
Standard User ft247
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 18:09:51
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Matlock to Winster by road is under 10km, even with the lowest grade GPON kit this would seem to be achievable.

I wonder what class of optics Openreach are using and how conservative they're being with power budgets.
(learned) Mon 11-Jan-21 18:28:33
Print Post

Ah that's interesting and would make sense - Does that mean that the Fibre does amalgamate at Winster and then travels down to Darley Dale and then on to Matlock?
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 11-Jan-21 19:30:00
Print Post

They dont amalgamate fibre like that.. They are likely to be on separate fibre spines.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Mon 11-Jan-21 20:22:15
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

The Headend exchange is 10 miles (16kl) away that will feed our village once it's lit up, my ADSL2 and Phone comes from our local exchange 2.5 miles (4lk).
(learned) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:11:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by witchunt:
They dont amalgamate fibre like that.. They are likely to be on separate fibre spines.

Thanks.

My only confusion is on the provider selection when it comes to the Winster & Darely Dale home exchanges.

Our home property is on an FTTC connection to that exchange (which i now understand to have it's head end in Matlock, not Darley Dale which provides our copper phone service), with TalkTalk as the provider.

The Winster property cannot get TalkTalk services as it says 'Out Of Our Network' when i enquire about the address, but this is confusing if the OLT for the Winster FTTC is in the same headend as my home property?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:19:46
Print Post

Talktalk need to be in the copper exchange to provide a voice service.
Only the fibre goes to the head end.

Winster exchange doesn't appear to have Talktalk.
Darley Dale does.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to