General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jim5457
(newbie) Fri 22-Jan-21 14:33:42
Print Post

Switching from FTTC to FTTP

[link to this post]

Hi I currently have my FTTC broadband with PlusNet which is now out of contract. I have just signed up to BTs 150mbs FTTP service which should be installed in April. The phone number will move also.

I have been emailed by Plusnet saying that they have received the request for the phone number move but not the broadband switch over yet.

What I would like to know is whether I need to cancel my Plusnet broadband/phone contract or whether that will happen automatically? I can't find anything on the BT site which describes this and I guess that technically both services could work given they use different cables albeit terminating at the same exchange ultimately.
Thanks all

Jim
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 22-Jan-21 14:50:27
Print Post

Re: Switching from FTTC to FTTP

[re: Jim5457] [link to this post]

DO NOT CANCEL . That is a sure fire way to mess up the whole switch. It will all happen once the FTTP connection goes live.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 22-Jan-21 18:37:56
Print Post

Let the install happen (the last bit being an Openreach engineer attending your home to install the ONT and carry out the final fibre splice to make the service live) and then sort any issues out later.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (100 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-21 18:54:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jim5457:
I have been emailed by Plusnet saying that they have received the request for the phone number move but not the broadband switch over yet.
The phone number moving will automatically cancel the broadband, and all services over the copper wires into your home.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-21 19:45:41
Print Post

As others have said do not cancel anything with your old provider.

The migration system is "gaining provider led" and you should never contact the old provider to tell them you are leaving.
If they attempt to cease the line at their end it will almost certainly cause problems.

The landline number migrating to a new provider will automatically cancel the broadband.

Don't even contact Plusnet.
  Print Thread

Jump to