General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GarrisonHale
(newbie) Fri 05-Mar-21 09:53:35
Print Post

Fibre - where is my ONT box?

[link to this post]

I've signed up for fibre broadband. When I was checking prices both Sky and BT said there is already an ONT box on my property when I put the address in. I have no idea where this is. We've been here about 3 years and we don't have fibre and the moment. Where would they have got this information from? Are they just wrong or is the box hidden somewhere? Are there any usual places for it to be? I've checked by the master socket....
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-21 09:57:42
Print Post

Re: Fibre - where is my ONT box?

[re: GarrisonHale] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GarrisonHale:
I've signed up for fibre broadband. When I was checking prices both Sky and BT said there is already an ONT box on my property when I put the address in. I have no idea where this is. We've been here about 3 years and we don't have fibre and the moment. Where would they have got this information from? Are they just wrong or is the box hidden somewhere? Are there any usual places for it to be? I've checked by the master socket....
Is it a new build?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 10:16:39
Print Post

If, as Dect asks, this is a new build, were you possibly not the first owner ?

There appears to be a fairly common issue where previous owners move out and take the ONT with them ... it is a useless thing to do, as each is uniquely registered to a property, so won’t work elsewhere, that aside, it isn’t ever the owners property.

All this practice does is cause issues for the next owner/tenant

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 10:18:52
Print Post

Where would they have got this information from?

Check again here.
Are they just wrong or is the box hidden somewhere? Are there any usual places for it to be? I've checked by the master socket....

If the ONT was present before you bought the property, its possible it is there and connected and you just don't know about it.

Have you checked what Openreach cabling enters the property, near the master socket? There is either an externally mounted box called a customer splice point (CSP) or alternately the cabling could go directly in from the building entry point. Presumably its underground fed?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 10:31:20
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

A good place to check would be in a cupboard where other services are, especially the fuse board.

Kinda depends on the age of the property, and how it might be served, overhead or underground ? Is this maybe a flat ?

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-21 10:35:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
A good place to check would be in a cupboard where other services are, especially the fuse board.
Totally agree, I was also going to suggest if it was a new build then its likely to appear in the same place for neighbouring properties so could ask one of them.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 10:42:01
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Totally agree, I was also going to suggest if it was a new build then its likely to appear in the same place for neighbouring properties so could ask one of them.

Yep, another good suggestion

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 11:01:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Kinda depends on the age of the property, and how it might be served, overhead or underground ? Is this maybe a flat ?

The vagaries of trying to figure stuff out over the Internet....all good suggestions above, but depends on the unique circumstances of the OP and his/her abode.

You guys should screen print "DO NOT REMOVE" on these things rather than 398,000 Openreach logos - pretty as they are laugh

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 13:42:12
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Believe it or not, there’s an idea being promoted at present for stickers with that kinda thing on it to to added by installers .......

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 22-Mar-21 08:21:58
Print Post

Did you ever find it?

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to