General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bernado
(member) Sat 20-Mar-21 12:17:31
Print Post

Best way to check FTTP availability timescale

[link to this post]

Where I live is listed in Openreach's Fibre First initiative for this year and there is currently work going on outside my house laying cable.
Everywhere I check though still has no ETA of any rollout, is there a reliable online source I can keep my eye on to track progress of FTTP service availability?

I put my contact details in Openreach's website to be informed of any FTTP updates a while back and since work is currently in progress right outside my house and I've had nothing back from them I'm not expecting to hear match back from that source.

Thanks
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Mar-21 13:30:04
Print Post

Re: Best way to check FTTP availability timescale

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

No, there is no reliable source of updates. The time to activate could be weeks, months, or in some cases never - it's not unknown for rollouts to be abandoned part-way through. If they made go-live forecasts public, it would only cause people to get very upset if they didn't meet the published dates for any reason.

You can keep an eye on the BT wholesale checker. If it currently shows "FTTPoD 330/30", then it may change to "FTTPoD 1000/220" a few days before it changes to "WBC FTTP" - and that's the point when you can order.
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Mar-21 10:41:07
Print Post

Keep an eye out for contractors installing new kit & take them a cuppa, that's about your only source of updates short of tweeting OR & they probably won't tell you

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bernado
(member) Mon 22-Mar-21 11:43:45
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.
According to the wholesale checker it says FTTP for my line is 'Available' in the WBC SOGEA availability date column, I don't know if that's a new update or it's always been there but the service clearly isn't available.

I guess time (and maybe tea) will tell!!
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 22-Mar-21 12:06:41
Print Post

bernado

I assume this is FTTP-oD that is available.

If it just says FTTP available you should be able to order.

You could post the results minus the address details for others to check.
Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Mon 22-Mar-21 12:14:41
Print Post

That’s just what seems to have happened in my area. We’ve gone from ‘Starting to Build’ to ‘no plans’. Frustrating but if the cost outweighs the benefits......
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Mar-21 12:24:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by bernado:
Thanks for the replies.
According to the wholesale checker it says FTTP for my line is 'Available' in the WBC SOGEA availability date column, I don't know if that's a new update or it's always been there but the service clearly isn't available.

I think you're probably seeing the following:

* Featured Products: VDSL range A, VDSL range B
* In this section there are columns marked "WBC FTTC Availability Date" and "WBC SOGEA Availability Date"

However, both of those columns are talking about FTTC, not FTTP. "SOGEA" means FTTC without analogue voice, i.e. a data-only FTTC service.

Then underneath that, you'll see either:

* Featured Products: WBC FTTP
* Featured Products: FTTP on Demand

The first of these means you have FTTP available. The second means you don't.
Standard User bernado
(member) Mon 22-Mar-21 13:18:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by bernado:
Thanks for the replies.

I think you're probably seeing the following:

* Featured Products: VDSL range A, VDSL range B
* In this section there are columns marked "WBC FTTC Availability Date" and "WBC SOGEA Availability Date"

However, both of those columns are talking about FTTC, not FTTP. "SOGEA" means FTTC without analogue voice, i.e. a data-only FTTC service.

Then underneath that, you'll see either:

* Featured Products: WBC FTTP
* Featured Products: FTTP on Demand

The first of these means you have FTTP available. The second means you don't.

Ah I see, it is the ''FTTP on Demand' option that is listed as available which makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.
Standard User jhorton88
(newbie) Mon 22-Mar-21 13:24:50
Print Post

Just check the BTWholesale Checker regularly

If you see this, then FTTP is ready for you to order -

https://i.imgur.com/yMc19NI.png

Also it'll say at the bottom of the page what kind of installation it is, for me it was Single Dwelling Overhead feed.

Edited by jhorton88 (Mon 22-Mar-21 13:25:12)

Standard User bernado
(member) Mon 12-Apr-21 22:00:16
Print Post

Well that didn't take long, the service has appeared as available and I'm booked in for installation in two weeks time.

I've been with Uno for years so staying with them, could've got cheaper elsewhere but I've always found them very responsive so sticking with what I know.
  Print Thread

Jump to